Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Puffy Eye?
Puffy Eye?
Health related
Jan 03 2017
04:20:32 PM
Gaia, our 5yr old female has some puffiness under her right eye. Just noticed it today. Planning on taking her to a vet tomorrow, as I'm concerned about abscess, but was wondering if there is something else that could be at play here?

https://goo.gl/photos/sR6dDdUFv9gstEfm7
Health related
Jan 03 2017
04:45:27 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Most likely an abscess, doesn't look to bad yet they may just give antibiotics and suggest a warm compress to see if that clears it up. If it doesn't, they will likely drain it and or do a tooth extraction if necessary.

If they prescribe antibiotics, Pick up some yogurt with live cultures ( NO ASPERTANE OR ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS ) Give her some yogurt about 2 hours before and 2 hours after the antibiotic meds to help restore the good bacteria. Antibiotics will wipe out the good and bad bacteria the yogurt will help with that.

It's not uncommon in gliders 5 yrs n older, hope she recovers soon

Edited by - Leela on Jan 03 2017 05:02:20 PM
Health related
Jan 11 2017
03:25:49 PM
Mprodgers Starting Member 5 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Leela

Most likely an abscess, doesn't look to bad yet they may just give antibiotics and suggest a warm compress to see if that clears it up. If it doesn't, they will likely drain it and or do a tooth extraction if necessary.

If they prescribe antibiotics, Pick up some yogurt with live cultures ( NO ASPERTANE OR ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS ) Give her some yogurt about 2 hours before and 2 hours after the antibiotic meds to help restore the good bacteria. Antibiotics will wipe out the good and bad bacteria the yogurt will help with that.

It's not uncommon in gliders 5 yrs n older, hope she recovers soon

Thanks for the advice. A few days in to the antibiotics the puffiness cleared up, but I'm finishing the full course of men's. I've been adding yogurt in regularly to their diet for awhile, and she seems to be back to normal. Looks like crisis averted!
Health related
Jan 11 2017
03:26:56 PM
*med's. Lol
Health related
Jan 11 2017
04:52:03 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Oh good deal!! glad she's feelin better
Health related
Jan 11 2017
08:20:13 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
Follow-up question:
My glider is about 5 years old and since you said it's not common, I was wondering how much of an emergency this would be? As I'm in school, it's hard to get into a vet asap and thankfully it hasn't been needed yet, but if I were to see this, how fast should I get to a vets?
Health related
Jan 11 2017
08:34:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tveit_Momma

Follow-up question:
My glider is about 5 years old and since you said it's not common, I was wondering how much of an emergency this would be? As I'm in school, it's hard to get into a vet asap and thankfully it hasn't been needed yet, but if I were to see this, how fast should I get to a vets?

A.S.A.P.
From what I've learned, it can be disastrous if not treated early. It also becomes exponentially more expensive to treat if you have to lance, drain, and treat the wound caused by a more serious abscess. At that stage there's tooth extractions, x-rays, etc. involved. This visit ran me around $110 meds and all, which is pretty light for a situation of this seriousness.
Health related
Jan 12 2017
09:09:51 AM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
Good to know thank you!! :)
Health related
Jan 12 2017
10:04:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tveit_Momma

Good to know thank you!! :)

When I first noticed something off, I did some Google homework and found some horror stories. I almost ran to vet! The upside is sugar boogers are relatively vet free pets if their diet is properly balanced and they don't have stressors. I've never seen a lower maintenance animal cohabitant. :)
Puffy Eye?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Puffy Eye?