Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Sugar mom
New Sugar mom
Question
Jan 05 2017
08:14:48 PM
I'm a new sugar mom and have a few question.

1. My glider always goes for my hair and acts like shes grooming it but is digging my scalp like shes trying to burrow into my hair. is that normal?
2. He old owner had her and her brother as a bonded pair. Her brother passed away a month before i got her. IS she going to be ok. So far all ive noticed is her barking a couple times a night.

3. She wont go into the bonding pouch anymore. Is there another way to get her bond to me. I feel like she already has a small bond but not enough where i can take her outside with me.
Question
Jan 05 2017
08:24:02 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Welcome & congratulations!

First question, yes it's normal. Some of it feels pretty good, then they start scraping, and then it hurts, lol. Grooming helps bonding though.

Second question, some gliders do fine on their own, but I think for the most part more are happier with a mate than not. Barking is also not that abnormal, but being he just lost his mate recently, he could be missing his buddy.

Bonding suggestions:

During the day, take him out while he's in his sleeping pouch and hold the pouch. Use your hands to hold and rub/caress him from outside the pouch and talk quietly. Have a treat handy for when he pops his head out. At that time, give him the treat and try petting his head. After some time of doing this and he's taking it well, try placing your hand into his sleeping pouch (fist form) very slowly. Let your fist be next to him then gradually work your way into petting him, the progress to the point of cupping him in your hand if you can.

If at any time he is not liking what you're doing, back off a step or two and build again more slowly.

After you established some sense of trust, try out of cage play time to firm up your relationship.
Question
Jan 05 2017
08:27:15 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
1. Gliders are rough when they groom and can even draw blood with bites sometimes while grooming each other so I'd say it's normal.
2. Barking at night could be a sign of loneliness. Usually when my glider barks at night I go pet and speak to him for a few minutes and he's fine. Now that he's bonded with me, and he's on me for longer periods, he hasn't barked for attention at night in a very long time.
3. If you remove the other pouches from the cage she will go into the bonding pouch to sleep, and once she does you can pick up the pouch. Try putting a treat in the pouch too so she's rewarded for going in.
New Sugar mom

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Sugar mom