Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need help!
I need help!
Information
Jan 24 2017
02:01:23 PM
Hello everyone! I have gotten two sister sugar gliders about a little over a week ago. They are doing great, I am feeding them the BML diet. Me and my fiancé are trying to bond with them. She's bonding with one, I'm bonding with the other. Hers is really sweet and seems to like everyone. She will go into my fiancés pocket and just fall asleep. Mine on the other hand seems terrified of everything. I understand why she's afraid and I know the bonding will take longer than a week depending on the glider. But mine doesn't want anything to do with me. She seems to be pouch protective, which I've gotten to where she won't bite me but she'll still crab. We do bathroom time and she's completely different outside the pouch. She'll climb all over me but still really doesn't want anything to do with me. She won't let me pet her. The only time I can pet her is when I calm her down in the pouch with treats. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. I know sugar gliders have different personalities, does that mean my glider might just be a glider that does not get attached? I'm going to love her either way, I'm just wondering.
Information
Jan 24 2017
07:57:09 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
That sounds typical. This reminds me of my first pair, Lulu & Skadoosh. Skadoosh was more friendly, curious, and outgoing, while Lulu was so the opposite. It could be a long story to explain her personality but it sounds similar to yours only it took me weeks to realize she was frightened. Once I figured out it was her personality and her being afraid, I took a whole new perception of her. I began working with bonding, with both of them at the same time, using pouch time during the day and after some improvement began out of cage play.

I recommend not trying to split them up for bonding, do it jointly with both gliders. Also, if only one of you at a time can do it, then each of you spend time with both gliders.

Information
Jan 24 2017
09:53:41 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
If she is pouch protective, you can get an OE (open environment) pouch. It's been known to solve the pouch protectiveness problem. Speak up when you're coming towards her in the cage so she knows your there and will not be worried when she hears you approach.
Don't compare your glider to your fiance's. They are two different gliders. Yours is shy and more frightened. She will definitely bond with you, it will just take more time. So far, my boy is decently bonded to me and it's been about 7 months. Every step is a breakthrough. Look for small things to keep you motivated. Things like: No longer crabbing. Eating out of your hand. Falling asleep on you. Her walking onto your hand by herself. Running to you when playtime is over. Her letting you pet her with and then without treats. Anything she doesn't let you do now, take note of when she DOES let you do it. Even if it takes months. It feels amazing.
Good luck!
Information
Jan 25 2017
07:25:06 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
IT TAKES TIME. with some gliders a longer time.
Information
Jan 25 2017
05:47:21 PM
Bubbies Joey 11 Posts
I'm still a new glider parent, but my baby girl she was the last one left at the store and would crab and bite for blood. When I got my baby boy as a cage mate for her, the store owner told me to make sure when they were bonded to each other to have them in the same bonding pouch. After doing that Neela adopted Nappa's attitude towards us. She still bites, but it's more like a "where's the treat" kinda thing. She doesn't crab and plays all over us in tent time. I think having Nappa be there with her through the bonding process helped her immensely!

Hope that helps!
Information
Jan 29 2017
12:09:04 AM
arcticfurmom Joey Visit arcticfurmom's Photo Album CO, USA 22 Posts
I have three who are totally laid back, three who will greet you at the front of the cage and play on you during tent time but still bite for blood, and three who are absolutely terrified of everything. The laid back three are awesome, will nibble on you, but can be petted and played with, and two of them have only been with me a week. The middle three have been with me for months and I don't dare try to pick them up without a catch cloth. The last three I can barely get near at all, even in the tent.
I need help!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need help!