Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Read if you think your frustrated.
Pictures
Jan 26 2017
07:23:42 PM
Almost two years ago we took in a pair of girls to foster for my local rescue. They were approximately 2 yrs old, one over weight and one very petite, had lived outside for a year in the fla temps, never been handled, been fed a crap diet, and weren't given names until they came home to me. The day after we got them we decided they were not going to be fostered they were going to stay right here with me.

Some would label them as rescues, or rehomes or surrenders, to me they are my babies. Difficult, biting, scared, overwhelmed babies. I worked my butt off to earn their trust, and make them feel loved and wanted. Nicky still bit me, a lot, HARD, Out of no where, Amy was just scared of everything and everyone except Nicky.

After a while they were introduced to my other pair, thinking one cage would be awesome as we lived in a RV lol. Well that failed miserably and Amy's face got tore up pretty good. She got vet care, and I tended to her night and day and she recovered physically. Emotionally she was very broken. Another little female her same size was being surrendered so we got her, they loved each other almost instantly. Amy changed, she was no longer broken, she was no longer scared of everything and everyone and she knew she could trust me after nursing her back. Awesome!

Nicky, now living with my original pair still bit, allllllllll the time. So I learned that for HER I had to start doing things differently. Hand her treats differently, get her out of the pouch differently, Wear more clothes that cover my skin... so many different things I had to do differently to NOT get bitten. Trimming her nails OMG

I was kind of scared of her which sounds ludicrous, I mean she's a 200 gram glider for Cryin out loud. I've raised horses n cows n rabbits why the hell am I scared of this lil fluff ball?? Didn't matter I was still scared of her and her biting Then one day I noticed she didn't bite me, all the new methods I was trying were working for her!! I stopped being so scared of her, but it was still there, underneath.

Then Nicky got a neck wound and needed to be treated and separated. She needed stitches it was so bad which aren't usually done for neck wounds. It took a couple months for her to heal all the way, enough to go back in with cage mates.

In that time I got to know the real Nicky. She ate a lot of her diners from my fingers, she took her meds like a champ, let me clean her if need be and was biting me less and less. A couple months went by and she pretty much stopped biting me altogether. She started greeting me at the front of her cage every night, she started coming out of her shell and MANNNNNNNN she has got an awesome personality under all them teeth lol

After she went back in with cage mates, I started to wonder if she was really happy here with me. If maybe I was stopping her from finding her true human. I stressed over this so badly and was willing to give her to a human of her choosing if need be.

Then my friend asked why I thought she wasn't happy, I was told to go get her and really look at her. I started crying. She looked up at me like HIIII got treats? whats wrong you ok ? I cried harder. What if I'm not her human!!!!!! I don't want to be selfish and just keep her cause I love her so much if she's not happy!

I started petting her while we were talking and for the very first time EVER she didn't curl up in a tight ball. Her tail was relaxed andddddd she curled it around my finger and let me keep petting her, then she snuggled up to my hand NEVER had this happened before!! It was well over a year that we had her at this point, I had never felt her that relaxed before even when she was on meds lol. Then it dawned on me, she IS happy here! I just didn't recognize what HER happy looked liked because it was different than all my other gliders Happy. Next thing I know, she's laying on her back belly up! BELLY UP !! SHE DOES TRUST ME !!!

Then I made the biggest mistake I've ever made. I cleaned the cleaned the cage with euc oil. Amy had a severe reaction to it and we almost lost her. That's another long story for another day, she has mostly recovered now but again our bond went to new levels.

I'm posting this today because
1. I see a lot of frustrated new owners posting

and 2. I have Nicky and Amy and Simon in my sweatshirt right now and I realized how far these particular 3 have come, but it took a long time to get here. Simon, oh he had his issues as well that took me 6 months for us to overcome now, he is probably one of my most bonded gliders despite the fact he'd rather be in his cage.

These three are my trio of Warriors. They all had histories that weren't the greatest, they all were mistreated or neglected by humans, they all have their own individual quirks and hang ups and fears.

But more importantly they all have over come their issues, they all have improved, they all are happy, they all are spoiled, they triumphed, they kept trying to show me what they needed until I understood it, they all have a fantastic future with a forever family that loves them baggage bites and all.

Please stop being frustrated and start understanding. Bonding takes time, sometimes lots of time, patience, changing your own habits to accomadate your gliders needs. If they are behaving in a way you don't like, figure out why and change that.

Never not once did I blame these three for how they acted or reacted to something I did. Nicky would still be staying here even if she bit as much as she used to, she still nails me now n then when she gets the chance and it's always my own fault. She's not perfect, neither am I but we have accepted that and it's ok.

When you get frustrated, stop, breathe, ask yourself how your glider feels right now and what you can do to make it better.

Someone asked about forced bonding today, I don't believe in anything forced with gliders except medication because it's necessary. You can't force them to not be scared just like you can't be forced not to be scared of something or them.

For the last 4 hours the warrior trio has been in my sweatshirt and they haven't stopped popping that entire time. I haven't had them out on me in a while like this as I've been focused on the joey. But let me tell you all that work and all that time taught them and me, that even if I don't get them out for a week or two I'm still one of their fav places to be.

They belong here with me and every bit of our journey was worth it, don't give up!! I never thought I would have this kind of friendship with these three and I was happily mistaken Alot of journey was skipped and details condensed because this thread is already long

Simon

Simon n Nicky

Nicky hamming it up she loves the camera lol

Amy Wong

all three Warriors

Edited by - Leela on Jan 26 2017 07:37:09 PM
Behavior
Jan 26 2017
10:01:52 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if it really does anything for Tveit to put him in my pocket and let him sleep... Like wouldn't it be more comfortable to sleep in his own cage pouch? I'm not always able to pet him so... what does it even do...

But then I hear his popping. And in his sleep, in my pocket, he'll pop for hours! I don't know why he loves it in my pocket, when I'm not petting him or giving him treats, but that's just the way he is. And it's super cute
Pictures
Jan 26 2017
11:14:57 PM
minime3 Glider Visit minime3's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
Adorable babies Leela! and I always enjoy reading your long posts
Bonding has been an enjoyable journey for me, I'm always amazed when Minnie reaches a new comfort level with me. When I first got her I didn't know much about gliders and I didn't think she would ever bond to me because she was already 6 months old and she had been re homed shortly before me that didn't work out so I guess my expectations were low. Now 3 months later she loves to be on me and if she hops off to explore she will jump back on me as soon as I offer her my arm. she is still leery of my hands unless I'm offering a treat, then hands are awesome! I can pet her for a short time before she runs away. I've taken it slow with her and it has paid off I know our bond will continue to grow and just like any relationship you get what you put in.
Pictures
Jan 27 2017
08:34:34 AM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Beautifully said leela. Heart of gold you have.
Pictures
Jan 28 2017
01:28:21 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Thanks for sharing, very good story for us all to read!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders