GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bathroom Habits/Potty Training
Question
Feb 01 2017
10:26:20 AM
Hello,

I am looking into owning two female sugar gliders. I did a lot of research online and read that they can be potty trained. After reading some of the forums It says that they actually can NOT be trained. I watched a video of someone wiping their gliders behind to stimulate them going to the bathroom right as they took them out of their cage. They said that since they go to the bathroom right as they come out, they don't go to the bathroom when there are playing with them. Does anyone have any comments about this, or any suggestions at all? I really want to get them and I don't mind if they have a couple of accidents on me, I just don't want them to pee or poop all over my room, on my bed, carpet, (etc.)

Thank you for your help!
Question
Feb 01 2017
05:51:42 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I really don't think they can be potty trained. When they first come out of their pouch or cage they will usually pee and poop right away. After that you may be safe for a little while, but it is always best to have a paper towel or a tissue with you. In my experience, the poo won't stink unless you accidently squish it.
Question
Feb 01 2017
06:01:47 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
most of ours will pee and poo on you at times, but my wife has one trained in a way.
she will pull gizmo out of the pouch and pet him as he sits, after a minute or two he will go pee and poo as she pets him and rubs his top side. Once he is done, she will put him in her bra and he will sleep the day away without going on her 95% of the time.
They CAN'T be trained to go in a "SPOT" like a cat box or a dog kennel we have outside.
Our sophie comes with me to kitchen for 3 or 4 mealworms. After her mealie treats she will poo big time, if you pay attention you can tell, and I can put my arm over trash can and let them fall in.
Question
Feb 01 2017
06:56:41 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Lol unfortunatly they go when and where they want. Their poop is like hamster poop a bit bigger at times. It won't stick to you but it's squish able. Thank goodness they don't pee very much maybey a teaspoon at most it's usually less. Your best to let them do there business before you take them out but accidents will happen.
Discusting ly enough my dogs usually eat the poop before I get a chance to wipe it up.they also lick the floor clean every morning from the food tossed out of the cage. I feed bml diet with recommended fruits and veggies.
Question
Feb 01 2017
09:04:51 PM
Emris Joey 31 Posts
Gliders are definitaly not potty trainable lol

If you know your gliders well enough you can usually tell when theyre gonna go but I still get pooped/peed on regularly.

They are very predictable though and do go as soon as they wake up. Usually I'll put my girl on a hard surface that I don't mind her going on while she wakes up and then i just wipe it up when she's done. She will however continue to poop randomly as she runs around.
Question
Feb 02 2017
10:04:21 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
During sleeping time, I can take mine out and put him directly into his pouch (don't let him run around and stimulate himself) and he will not pee at all until I put him back in his cage. He MIGHT poo, but it's rare.
During awake time, he will pee and poo a lot right away. I usually leave him in his cage when he wakes up to grab a snack and get all the pee and poo out. Then I'll take him out and let him run around for awhile. Sometimes he still pees and he almost always still has some poop left in him. Poo is easy to clean. But I can tell you 100% any glider will still use the potty even if you think they are empty sometimes while they are playing.
They cannot be potty trained, only stimulated.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders