GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
DOG ATTACK
DOG ATTACK
Information
Feb 12 2017
05:58:02 PM
HELP HELP HELP
My dog hates my babies. He absolutely wants to kill them with no doubt at all. I came home today and their cage was completely torn to shreds and destroyed. I found them both safe and not hurt. Just terrified. I need help. I need advice on what to do. My door is always shut but he figured out how to open it clearly. I need a strong cage that I'm going to bolt into my wall up high. Please if anyone can help I need it. I'm a mess because I thought I lost them. Getting rid of the dog is not an option ( I wish it was ) my dad would never alow it. I'm 17 if anyone is wondering why my dad has a say in this. Any dog repellent that's glider safe etc? I've never heard of a dog wanting to attack gliders. Thank you.
Information
Feb 12 2017
06:48:35 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Oh dear that sounds like a problem. Try getting a sturdy cage that can't be destroyed.
Here is one place you can get cages.
www.exoticnutrition.com/suglca.html

I don't know the size of your dog or the cage, but you could try putting it on a tall sturdy table.
If your parents let you, you could get a lock for your door to try and keep the dog out.
Maybe you could make a shelf on the wall that can hold the cage.

I don't have this problem because my dog doesn't care about the gliders. I'm just trying to give you some ideas.
Information
Feb 12 2017
09:32:21 PM
minime3 Glider Visit minime3's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
In addition to a sturdy cage and keeping it where the dog can't get to I would work with the dog's behavior. If the dog knows they exist, he will take any opportunity to get them. You may have to get a trainer or even a behaviorist. I have had many animals and I've always used body blocking as a way to "claim" an animal from another. However if the dog doesn't see you or other family members as the alphas it simply won't work. Personally I wouldn't risk just trying to keep them apart. Best of luck
Information
Feb 12 2017
11:56:23 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Cameronfaith

HELP HELP HELP
My dog hates my babies. He absolutely wants to kill them with no doubt at all. I came home today and their cage was completely torn to shreds and destroyed. I found them both safe and not hurt. Just terrified. I need help. I need advice on what to do. My door is always shut but he figured out how to open it clearly. I need a strong cage that I'm going to bolt into my wall up high. Please if anyone can help I need it. I'm a mess because I thought I lost them. Getting rid of the dog is not an option ( I wish it was ) my dad would never alow it. I'm 17 if anyone is wondering why my dad has a say in this. Any dog repellent that's glider safe etc? I've never heard of a dog wanting to attack gliders. Thank you.

I would actually think about dog training, our 3 dogs are hunters outside, they have gotten voles, raccoons, rabbits etc. They react so fast outside its hard to stop them, by the time I saw them on the rabbit and told them to stop it was to late for the poor guy. but inside the house with the birds and gliders they will put down their heads and walk away if a bird or glider gets near them. We also have strong cages for the gliders. We keep the gliders away from the dogs, and if we are not at home and one gets out I hope they hide well. so in the end, I would think about seeing if your dad would let you train the dog better, even a shock collar if needed.
Information
Feb 13 2017
06:58:03 AM
Minxies Glider Visit Minxies's Photo Album Minxies's Journal 51 Posts
One idea you could try too depending on the size of your dog is place a baby gate in the doorway of your room or where the gliders are?
(If big dogs, might want to put up 2 baby gates, one over the other' it might be a little work taking a gate down to get past; but hopefully this will keep the dog out)

I can understand how frustrating it can be living with someone else's pet. I hope this idea helps!

A new sturdy cage is a good idea, lilsistar provided a really good link to cages that can take a harsh beating.
Information
Feb 13 2017
03:46:17 PM
Minadog77 Glider Visit Minadog77's Photo Album 59 Posts
I would in addition to everything everyone else told you to do Buy a few simple locks for your door similar to this
It is a simple lock that no one will get through it if it's closed I have them on all of the doors and they're is no way a dog will get through locks like these. Hope this helps
DOG ATTACK

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
DOG ATTACK