Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I hate doing this, but..
I hate doing this, but..
Health related
Feb 17 2017
03:50:45 PM
I would truly, truly appreciate it if anyone took some time to look at my goFundMe for my fur baby.

www.gofundme.com/saveMyMia

I know people don't like seeing this kind of thing. I am sorry, but I am not quite sure how else to share it.

Thank you <3 <3 <3
Health related
Feb 17 2017
05:41:59 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
quote:
Earlier this week, I noticed a small, bloody wound on the tip of Mia's tail along with a needle like point coming out of it. She was in pain and was missing fur in the area. I immediately consulted my vet as this was a sign of self-mutilation.
Self-mutilation (SM) is unfortunately not uncommon amongst sugar gliders - especially those with injuries. Gliders will pick at a site of pain with the goal of making it better, but sadly they make it much worse.

Can you post pics of the tail injury please? ( missing fur on a tail wound is not a sign of self mutilation it's a sign of a tail injury of some sort.)
Health related
Feb 17 2017
06:52:16 PM
melonbar Joey Visit melonbar's Photo Album 17 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Leela

quote:
Earlier this week, I noticed a small, bloody wound on the tip of Mia's tail along with a needle like point coming out of it. She was in pain and was missing fur in the area. I immediately consulted my vet as this was a sign of self-mutilation.
Self-mutilation (SM) is unfortunately not uncommon amongst sugar gliders - especially those with injuries. Gliders will pick at a site of pain with the goal of making it better, but sadly they make it much worse.

Can you post pics of the tail injury please? ( missing fur on a tail wound is not a sign of self mutilation it's a sign of a tail injury of some sort.)

Sure! I guess I worded that oddly. I was trying to say the part of her tail where she was missing skin and had chewed down to her bone was from SM. But yeah, that probably started with an injury. These aren't the best pictures, but I took these earlier on before her tail started turning black.

Health related
Feb 17 2017
07:08:28 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Ok, that is NOT SM. There is a difference between self mutilating gliders and basic injuries. Do you have current pics of the tail now??

Are you on facebook ??

Edited by - Leela on Feb 17 2017 07:14:29 PM
Health related
Feb 18 2017
12:48:03 PM
Melonbar, if your on facebook, please add me to your friendslist I have a group of people that would like to try and help your glider but we can't do that on this forum. https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1
Health related
Feb 18 2017
04:49:49 PM
quote:

Ok, that is NOT SM. There is a difference between self mutilating gliders and basic injuries. Do you have current pics of the tail now??

Are you on facebook ??

I unfortunately do not use Facebook. My apologies for mistaking this as SM. I had thought it was because she was picking at it. Regardless, she has to get her tail amputated as said by my vet. I will take some current pictures soon!
Health related
Feb 18 2017
04:55:07 PM
quote:

Melonbar, if your on facebook, please add me to your friendslist I have a group of people that would like to try and help your glider but we can't do that on this forum. https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1

Is there a way to join without a Facebook? I can make one if not

Edited by - melonbar on Feb 18 2017 04:55:30 PM
Health related
Feb 18 2017
05:07:45 PM
No not really if you can join please do we already have people standing by in a group chat to help you
Health related
Feb 18 2017
05:07:53 PM
quote:

Here are some pictures:
It's a bit hard to tell, but her tail is turning darker and darker by the day. The area used to be a bright pink, and now it's a dark dark grey color. It goes about an inch down her tail.

I hate doing this, but..

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I hate doing this, but..