Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Am I allergic to gliders?
Laws, Rules, & Regulations
Feb 18 2017
12:07:20 AM
Hello, I recently bough a pair of sugar gliders (a month ago) now everytime they walk on my bear skin on the arm, shoulder, neck; I get small red dots like bug bites, and minor scratches that seem to swell and itch. I've never had any allergies before. I dont mind about it, but do you think I should worry?
Feb 18 2017
01:01:55 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your new additions! I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here who can advise you. But I just wanted to say that this is very common for glider 'parents'. My arms are constantly covered with scratches and red marks. Wearing a long sleeve shirt helps. And keeping their nails trimmed should also help.
Feb 18 2017
09:21:23 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Tiakristin is correct, it is caused by nails that need trimmed. Manual nail trimmings usually need done about every other week ( at least for mine ) other people trim them once a month or so. If your skin is irritated I'd say every other week tho.
Nov 11 2017
10:31:42 AM
wbevie Starting Member 2 Posts
I have a single unneutered male rescue glider that I have had for about 6 months now. A few times when he's scratched me I break out in whelps around the scratched area. This last time I broke out full body, not just around the scratched area. The whelps developed blisters and hurt/itch something fierce. I had to see the doc and get a steroid shot and am taking a steroid pack. :-( I really love this little fella and he's as sweet as the day is long. He is tiny and eats well, seems content to be alone although I spend time with him every morning and I get him out to run the house at night. He typically will call me when he wants to be found or just jump on an off of me after he's rubbed all his musk, pee and such all over me..lol That is really not very pleasant but I keep a furry housecoat that I wear when I get him out at night. It gets to stinking so bad I have to wash it about every other day. I would really like to see him get neutered so that he won't mark and musk me and bite, etc. and rub all over me so much but I can't find a vet locally that I trust. I am all he knows, had him since he was about 3 months old.
I think he's about 9 of 10 months old now, but I'm not sure. His scent gland developed on top of his head about a month after I rescued him. I really don't want to give him up but I'm torn...my doctor advises me to due to this allergic reaction getting worse. And he really does either need to be neutered or mate. I have this huge cage for him with tons of toys that I fix for him every night so he can forage and play. I have a salt light in there for him that won't hurt his eyes. I do everything right. I am so anal about his organic fruits and veggies and proper diet. I am at a crossroads. :-( I would give him to someone along with his cage, etc. if I knew he would be properly cared for. Truly at a crossroads here. Any advise?
Nov 12 2017
05:21:48 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Nail trimming helps a lot, also wearing long sleeves, many gliders don't care for the feel of human skin anyway.

I trim my glider's nails every 3 weeks. Mine don't really need it in 2 weeks, but about the 3rd day in after that, they start snagging. I have to wait till weekend though, because it's best to do during daytime, sleep hours when they're more relaxed and calm.
Nov 12 2017
11:08:05 AM
wbevie Starting Member 2 Posts
Thanks! I did trim his nails yesterday and he was awake and didn't mind a bit. He pretty much lets me do whatever I want to him. He has maybe crabbed three or four times since I've had him and it's when I'm carrying him in his pouch and he thinks I'm going to squash him or something or move too fast...lol He licks and holds my fingers in the daytime when I carry him around and grooms them nicely for me. I hope the trimming helps this issue. We will see. Now, to find a vet I trust to neuter him. Once I get that done I may be try to introduce another glider into the family.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders