Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Gliders biting me
Gliders biting me
Question
Feb 21 2017
10:59:44 PM
My sugar gliders are both joeys ( 4 month and 5 month ) whenever i put my hand in the cage they bite me. they do not draw blood it actually isn't a bit just a nibble but they wont stop! People tell us to say shh but they just nibble harder. the smallest one lets me pet her whenever i want but still bites me. HELP!!
Question
Feb 22 2017
07:38:58 AM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Sounds like it's possibly a phase I've heard juveniles can go through. It could also be the type of hand soap. Try not to use sweet or fruity scents or vanilla or eucalyptus.
It may help. Good luck don't let it deter you .
Question
Feb 22 2017
10:12:55 AM
GliderGirl415 Starting Member 7 Posts
I have never dealt with it myself, but I have heard that it has to do with bonding. Do you have a bonding pouch? If so, then try to use it as much as possible. Make sure that you and your significant other are carrying them around so they can get used to your sound and smell. If they try to bite you when you reach your hand in to put them in the pouch, just pull through it, don't back away. Hope this helps!
Question
Feb 22 2017
10:13:17 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
GliderGirl, I'm glad you are stressing the importance of bonding pouches. They make a huge difference. I bring my glider with me everywhere...work, appointments, restaurants, movies, etc.
Just yesterday were were at the dentist and she did amazingly well. Now my dentist is planning to get one, lol.
Question
Feb 22 2017
10:14:53 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
*we were
Question
Feb 23 2017
01:16:28 PM
GliderGirl415 Starting Member 7 Posts
Thanks Tiakristin3. I personally didn't like the idea of the bonding pouch so I never used one at first. But my glider got very depressed and almost died because he wasn't bonding to anyone, so that is when I started using the pouch. It made such a huge difference its kind of odd, lol. Some people say I talk about pouches too much when I am recommending them, but I only do it because I realized how important they are. I just don't want anyone to go through the same thing I did. My life was hell when my glider started looking sick and wouldn't eat XD.
Question
Feb 23 2017
02:40:35 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Gliders do NOT just get so lonely they almost die. There must of been a reason or an illness other than being alone.

Edited by - Leela on Feb 23 2017 02:56:09 PM
Question
Feb 23 2017
02:52:02 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Glider Questions,
There is an easy solution to this stop putting your hands in the cage. No more biting.

Other than putting food in the cage each night, which is usually done prior to the gliders waking up, and resetting toys or cleaning, there is no reason to put your hands in there. That is their home, their first safe place, and you are intruding on their safe place. At least until you have built a little better of a friendship and bond with them.

Do your hands smell like food? Our hands usually smell like food especially if we've just given them a treat, they may be looking for more treats... in the wild when the bite or chew on trees to get sap or gum they bite until they get some, when they stop getting sap or gum them bite again. So if you give them licky treats like honey or applesauce reload the treat after 3 licks. If you just stop giving them the treat after the first treat is gone they are going to bite looking for more. So if you only give them a little and stop, don't let your hand linger without washing your hands.

Might be a stage, give them safe things to chew on, like plastic drinking straws or a honey stick.

What ever you doing, when they bite, try doing that differently to see if their reaction changes to a positive one with no biting.

Edited by - Leela on Feb 23 2017 02:55:39 PM
Gliders biting me

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Gliders biting me