Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toe injury
Toe injury
Health related
Feb 23 2017
08:18:46 PM
This morning I woke up to my sugar glider making angry noises, so long story short her toe was stuck in her pouch and I got it out but now it's all red and swollen and she's having a hard time climbing her cage and I'm scared and don't know what to do

Edited by - Lindzy316 on Feb 23 2017 08:22:09 PM
Health related
Feb 23 2017
08:33:42 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
1st check to see if there is any string wrapped around her toe, if there is get it off. Take her to a glider experienced vet so they can determine if it needs amputated.

Is she bothering the toe at all ?

examine the inside of the pouch if there are any exposed threads that can't simply be trimmed removed the pouch and give her a new safer one.

Does she have cage mates ?

do you have a spare temp cage?

Edited by - Leela on Feb 23 2017 08:36:34 PM
Health related
Feb 23 2017
08:41:24 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
This happened to my glider as well and is pretty common because of their long nails. I now try to clip her nails more often. Also, are her pouches made of fleece? Some materials tend to catch their nails more than others. This is certainly not meant to place blame but to learn from. I had my glider for months before learning that I was using the wrong fabric. Anyway, I would definitely get her checked out by an exotic vet (at the very least, a phone call for advice). Not cheap, but better safe than sorry. Good luck!
Health related
Feb 23 2017
08:47:15 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
trimming nails is a must.
The safest material in the world isn't safe if their nails are neglected.

Trim the nails.
Health related
Feb 23 2017
08:55:55 PM
Lindzy316 Joey Visit Lindzy316's Photo Album 10 Posts
She doesn't seem to be bothering the toe at all and I think it's gotten less red as the day has gone but I'm still worried. She does have a cage mate (aristocrat) but he hasn't really been bothering her. I don't have an extra cage and her pouch is fleece. After I found her I let her be alone in the bathroom all day so he wouldnt hurt her more being in the pouch with her. I'm afraid she might bite off her toe, but then it also doesn't seem like it's that bad at all, but I'm still worried.
Health related
Feb 23 2017
08:59:40 PM
ok, try gently rubbing her foot to get the blood flowing back to the toe. You want to keep an eye on the color of the skin of her toe, if it starts turning black over the next couple days, it is necrotic ( dead tissue )
Health related
Feb 23 2017
09:09:23 PM
She won't let me touch it, I got her on the floor and distracted her with a treat and got to barely cut the nail, but after that she won't let me touch even the nail. Should I put an e-collar on her?
Health related
Feb 23 2017
09:12:21 PM
Do you have one?

If she is not bothering it, let her be, no sense in cause her undue stress.

If she seems to start bothering it then yes put an e collar on her. But if you do you will need to make sure she has access to water and food with the ecollar on or hand feed her through the night.
Health related
Feb 23 2017
09:16:39 PM
I googled it and made one, but like you said I don't want to put unnecessary stress on her. I don't think she's bothering it, but I'm scared to go to sleep if she starts bothering it. I don't want to wake up to her toe being gone
Health related
Feb 23 2017
09:18:25 PM
can you upload a pic of the foot and the e collar ?
Health related
Feb 23 2017
09:20:06 PM
better yet if your on facebook add me there it's easier to talk on there so are pictures https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1
Toe injury

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toe injury