GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Silent Runner Wheel. Yes or No?
Question
Feb 24 2017
10:52:21 AM
Hey all,

I'm trying to decide on a new wheel to get for my babies. I'm looking at getting the silent runner wheel with the sandy insert. I have had the sandy insert in other wheels and they have worked great and my gliders don't mind them.

Just curious about everyone's opinion on Silent runner wheels, they have no axle in the middle and seem to be very safe.
Thanks!
Question
Feb 24 2017
11:43:00 AM
MaekjusMommy Joey Visit MaekjusMommy's Photo Album 45 Posts
In my opinion, the silent runner is the worst wheel out of all the safe wheels. Stealth wheels and Raptor wheels are awesome! Save your money and get a better wheel. The problem with the silent runner is that it has a solid base. Suggies pee and poop on their wheels, so it gets nasty very quickly. The running space isn't nearly as wide on the silent runner as it is on the stealth. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by - MaekjusMommy on Feb 24 2017 11:43:51 AM
Question
Feb 24 2017
11:56:44 AM
SarahsSuggies Starting Member Visit SarahsSuggies's Photo Album 0 Posts
Thank you I appreciate your comment, the reason I like the silent runner is because it can also trim their nails which is a huge help.

I'll definitely consider what you said :)
Question
Mar 08 2017
03:20:01 PM
FreddieD Starting Member 0 Posts
***WARNING***

I do not want another owner to experience the tragedy I did. So I advise you all to STAY AWAY from the SILENT RUNNER WHEELS offered through The Sugar Glider Superstore online store.

This wheel led to the death of my 7 year old sugar glider. The wheel has ball bearings that do decrease the noise of the wheel when in use. BUT....they seize up after a while which causes the wheel to unscrew itself and fall from the side of the cage. Even if you follow the care instructions to the letter.

This happened to my glider and she broke her foot and injured her tail. That led to a tail amputation and her eventual need to be put to sleep from her injuries.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS WHEEL! If you have one get rid of it! I do not want anyone to go through the pain and loss I have.

Other wheels sell trim wheel inserts that trim their nails as well. See here:

www.*site banned*/run-o-round-ez-trim-combo.html

The wheel above is great.

Thank you.
Question
Mar 08 2017
08:27:03 PM
The site you linked is banned, so I'm not sure what wheel you are talking about. What is it called? I agree though, silent runners are pretty crappy wheels in my opinion. I LOVE my stealth.
Question
Mar 09 2017
06:42:06 AM
Run-O-Round-EZ Trim wheel.

on the Pocket Pets store. The trim wheel insert can be changed out with the regular wheel runner. And its washable and lasts.

Wish I knew about the Silent Runner before I doomed my glider with that wheel. I have asked the store to stop selling it, they ignored me.

Edited by - FreddieD on Mar 09 2017 06:43:31 AM
Question
Mar 09 2017
08:10:44 AM
Sorry to be the one to tell you. But that wheel is VERY unsafe for gliders. Its a Wodent wheel. Google "sugar glider wodent wheel" and see the photo of a tangled dead glider. Get yourself a stealth, raptor, or custom cruiser. The silent runner is not a great wheel, but it is 1000x better than a wodent wheel.
Question
Mar 09 2017
11:35:24 AM
Hey everyone,

So I did indeed purchase the silent runner, but since so many people are against it i'm going to remove it from the cage.
And I purchased the raptor wheel for my babies. Which i'm waiting for now to come in.

Thanks!!
Question
Mar 09 2017
12:46:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MaekjusMommy

Sorry to be the one to tell you. But that wheel is VERY unsafe for gliders. Its a Wodent wheel. Google "sugar glider wodent wheel" and see the photo of a tangled dead glider. Get yourself a stealth, raptor, or custom cruiser. The silent runner is not a great wheel, but it is 1000x better than a wodent wheel.

Well the Wodent Wheel never did anything to my glider in 6 1/2 years. I guess I should consider myself lucky. It was the SILENT RUNNER that killed my glider.

My point stay as far away from the SILENT RUNNER as possible.
Question
Mar 09 2017
02:05:50 PM
BingsMama Starting Member 7 Posts
You really should consider a different wheel. You are lucky that the wodent wheel hasn't been a problem yet. But its not an issue until it injures or kills your glider. I do agree with you on the silent runner though.
Question
Mar 09 2017
02:11:51 PM
I had a wodent wheel for 6 years as well, and never ran into an issue.
But I got rid of it after all the bad stories I heard.

quote:
Originally posted by FreddieD

quote:
Originally posted by MaekjusMommy

Well the Wodent Wheel never did anything to my glider in 6 1/2 years. I guess I should consider myself lucky. It was the SILENT RUNNER that killed my glider.

My point stay as far away from the SILENT RUNNER as possible.

Question
Mar 09 2017
02:16:56 PM
BingsMama Starting Member 7 Posts
Raptors are awesome! My breeder got one for me! My babies love it, its a really pretty pink color.
Question
Mar 09 2017
02:23:44 PM
The Silent Runner DID kill my glider.
Question
Mar 09 2017
05:20:22 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
My preferences for wheels in order of my preference and why...

1 Custom Cruiser, made by Bourbon Hackworth. $55.00 plus shipping http://www.cccruiser.com/Ordering.html

The quality of materials is of the highest grade for wheels.

The turn around time from placing order to receiving the wheel is fast, usually shipped out with in one day of your order, unless she tells you otherwise.

Every order is customized to your gliders and your gliders needs, regarding colony size, width of track, bounce option and color choices.

It's the quietest wheel I have.

Customer service is impeccable

She stands behind her product.

If you order one from her tell her Carla sent you, please

2 Raptor wheels made by David Watkins http://www.mygliderwheelsandmore.com/

The quality is pretty good

Turn around time from placing an order to receiving wheel can vary from kind of quick to your waiting for months depending on how he's feeling and how backed up his orders are. My last one took 3 or 4 months to receive.

Customer service, He doesn't respond quickly about inquiries regarding your order if he does at all.

the wheels do last a long time, if you don't mind waiting a long time to get them.

he makes a junior raptor for traveling or smaller cages.

I like that he helps legitimate rescues and gives people the option to buy a wheel at discounted rates for legitimate rescues.

He does offer trim trax for his wheels but it is extra.

3 Fast Track http://www.spinzoneglobal.com/

This wheels uses a diamond mesh for the track I'm not to crazy about, but it's a pretty smooth spinning wheel.

Mine came to me used and has held up pretty well since I've had it. I don't dislike it really but I don't love it either.

They do have more color options than the other wheel vendors however, the lids they are using to get those colors are of lesser quality and some have had major cracks and breaks because of inferior quality.

I haven't dealt with this company personally, but I've heard their customer service is lacking.

fast track wheel is one step higher than the stealth ONLY because I have all three of the wheels in my first 3 I don't have a stealth wheel.

4 Stealth wheels http://www.atticworx.com/

I've never heard of anything negative about the stealth wheels, other than customer service wasn't so great.

I do know that they are currently working on a brand new design that looks very promising. However, it's not available to the public yet.

The Silent Runner...... I'm not a fan of, it was supposed to be a safer wheel than the wodent wheel and this is the first incident I've heard of one causing an injury. I would be interested in seeing some pics of the malfunctioned wheel.

Usually if bearings seize up on a wheel it's because the bearings got wet. Did you put the wheel in a sink of water to soak or get the back assembly wet somehow ?

tail and foot amputations are not death sentences for gliders. I'd be interested in hearing the entire story. I'm not doubting that the initial injuries happened because of the wheel, but these are not injuries that they can't recover from with proper medical attention and after care.

At any rate I'm sorry for your loss and that you and your baby experienced this

The woodent wheel..... again I'm really not a fan of it. However, the pics of the tangled glider was ONE isolated freak incident. If cleaned properly, and IF the safe shield from the manufacturer is put over the center axle it can be SAFER than the original woodent wheel. I'm NOT saying it's deemed SAFE by any means but it is safer. Like wearing a safety belt in a car, there is still a risk you will be injured but the risk is reduced some.

The new woodent wheels come with the shield already installed if yours doesn't have one go to the manufacturers site and get one they are only like a buck.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 09 2017 05:42:57 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat