Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help - horrible time with bonding
Behavior
Feb 25 2017
09:45:41 AM
Back in November, I got two baby sugar gliders and began the bonding process with them. About a month in, I had a terrible house fire. Luckily, I was able to get them out but the fire was above the room where I kept them and it was a very traumatic experience for all. Unfortunately, things were so crazy for about two months after as I was dealing with the after effects and trying to find a place to live and get settled that I didn't spend any time with them or try to bond with them. Now that I have gotten settled, I have tried to start the bonding process again a couple of weeks ago. It is going terribly. When I put them in the bag they crab incessantly and bite me through the bag. They will take treats out of my hand but bite me and run away as soon as they have it. I am very high stress and high anxiety so I am sure this isn't helping. But with everything that I am still dealing with with the rebuilding of my house I don't have a lot of free time and when I use what little time I have to try to bond and I get bitten and listen to crabbing the entire time...well, it has made me start to dislike and resent them. I feel awful about it but it's how I feel. I really have no idea where to start, what to do. It's getting to the point where I want to give up and get rid of them because they are a lot of work to keep clean, keep food fresh and water bottle and toys and bedding clean. I feel like it's a lot of work and NO reward as I just listen to crabbing and get bitten. Please....any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so much
Behavior
Feb 26 2017
12:05:53 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I am so sorry for all that you have been through. I can't even imagine just how traumatic this has been for all of you. Your frustration and resentment is totally understandable. I wish I could offer you more help and advice but the best thing I can do is share advice that I received. Both my gliders started out extremely crabby and nippy. I spent many nights in tears thinking we would never bond. Just as I was about to give up and rehome my first one, someone said to me "be patient, it will get better". Well, as far as I was concerned, I WAS patient...extremely patient! I didn't know what else I could do. But she was absolutely right. I kept doing what I was doing....loving them unconditionally, speaking softly and calmly to them, keeping them in their bonding pouch as much as possible, offering treats, and working to gain their trust. It was slow going but absolutely worth every second. A firm "no bite" or "psst" sound usually deters them from biting. Consistency is so important. Separating them at times and having some one on one time might help too. I would also suggest taking them to the vet for wellness checks to make sure they are healthy. The vet would likely have some advice for you as well. Do the best you can. It's obvious you love your gliders and they will feel that from you. I wish you the very best. Please take care and keep us posted.
Behavior
Feb 26 2017
07:34:59 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
If nothing in this video helps, contact Bourbon directly. She has a method that works even with the most frightened stubborn gliders. But it requires consistency and following her instructions. https://www.facebook.com/bourbonh?ref=br_rs

Behavior
Feb 26 2017
10:53:21 AM
kellybeanjp Starting Member 2 Posts
Thank you so very much!!! I will def watch the video and see what happens! I do love them even though we are going through a rough time and want to have good relationships with them!
Behavior
Feb 26 2017
11:36:59 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Trust me I know it can be frustrating lol I once considered rehoming one of mine because I didn't think I was the right human for her..... I was very very wrong. I just didn't recognize what her "happy" looked like, because she is different than my others. Don't give up, when you get frustrated stop, relax and breathe, then begin again.
Behavior
Feb 26 2017
06:47:45 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video. When I first read Kelly's post I was like 'Leela, where ARE you?!', lol. I always appreciate your wise advice here (and from so many other knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum).
Behavior
Feb 27 2017
08:11:50 AM
It's been a busy couple weeks for me so I haven't posted much here. Last week we had two tail injuries amputation cases, a glider with necrotic feet, a glider with mobility issues ( and another one yesterday ) a glider with a potential cat scratch.

Then the wood burning, I've gotten a few donations made, a couple orders finished a birthday gift for my daughter from my other daughter and new orders coming in lol it's been busy !!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders