Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Top 3 things
Top 3 things
Question
Mar 09 2017
06:56:04 PM
What are the top 3 things you wish you would have known before you got your gliders? And what are the top 3 things I should definitely have before bringing gliders home? (besides the obvious like cage and bonding pouch) Just trying to get some different opinions. I could stay up all night reading this website!
Question
Mar 09 2017
07:29:07 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
This oughtta be good lol

Hmm lets see

1 I wish I researched glider diets better ( fact checked ) and asked the creator of the diets my questions rather than believing other peoples opinions that I read, because most of them were biased or not accurate. I spent the first few months feeding what I thought was a good diet but later learned it was not a balanced one that provided what their bodies need to really thrive.

2 I wish I had known that there are other groups and forums to find accurate, current information and that many of the glider sites are out dated.

3 I wish I had known I was going to bring home my first glider the day we went to meet her and that I would of brought a pouch to put her in instead of a sock that the breeder put her in. Thankfully she forgave me

3 things you should definitely have before bringing your gliders home....

Patience.

time.

understanding.

and lots of treats

Question
Mar 09 2017
07:45:34 PM
tiffyates11 Starting Member 4 Posts
Great thoughts! Thank you! There are so many diets out there, you are right. Just when I think I know what Im doing, I read somethingelse. And as far as patience, I dont have much of that when it comes to people but I have all the patience in the world when it comes to animals. I am glad that I have read that it could take anywhere from a few days to several months so I wont get discouraged.
Question
Mar 09 2017
07:57:51 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
it can take longer than several months even, one of mine took a lil over a year. Just don't put any expectations on the gliders or "bonding" Don't compare one to another, the are individuals and respond, react and behave as individuals Get to know who they are.

Diets are a struggle for just about everyone, if your not sure of something ask the creator some of them are very active in the glider community, but they are mainly on facebook groups. I'm talking the most widely used diets like Bml critter love hpw and tpg.

What diet are you thinking about using ?

Question
Mar 09 2017
08:45:38 PM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
Hello =)

I'm only 2 weeks in and already there are tons of things I wish I knew. I have 2 babies, Effie and Ellie.

1. I wish I had prepare 'easier human access' sleeping pouches. I made these first set myself base on some research on how the babies will like them. Those tight space cozy type, which they currently love, but SO hard for me to reach them.
a. Takes me forever to move them from the sleeping pouch to bonding pouch.
b. Ellie is starting to show pouch protective-ness. Thank God she doesn't bite hard, more like lunge and crab, sometimes a quick bite and let go, it feels like she 'respects' the hands that feed her

2. I wish I knew not to waste money on pellets (i bought the most expensive one coz it looked good, only fed them once) and hamster wheel -.-

3. I wish I knew to buy the 2 babies from the same breeder/family, not that I planned to have Ellie. I wanted to start with one, Effie. Ellie somehow came under a different circumstance.

There are a couple more, alot of learning on the job at the moment, but those are the immediate top 3 i wish i knew...
Question
Mar 10 2017
06:09:21 AM
sh00ter Joey Visit sh00ter's Photo Album 32 Posts
1. wish I knew my son's mother is scared to death of these..(would have gotten them years ago)

2.that dry food for my guys is a waste

3.had no idea good fleece is so expensive..have to wait for sales
Question
Mar 10 2017
06:58:29 AM
I think I like you already Shooter lol

Joann Fabrics almost always has discount coupons and fleece sales you can use online or in stores

Edited by - Leela on Mar 10 2017 06:59:47 AM
Question
Mar 10 2017
06:28:01 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
1. Wish I would have joined the forum prior. I did research, but followed mostly advice from an acquaintance who was Pocket Pet's fan.
2. New about glider-safe wheels.
3. Understood the trust-building process and that fear causes behavior that can be misjudged as being vicious.

I've looked back on when I first homed my gliders and am surprised how surprised I was to learn things that I really should have known by experience with other pets. Animals are not cookie-cutter pets and especially exotics.

I find that I place expectations, based on what I hear or read too often, then be surprised and somewhat discouraged or even disappointed when I don't get the exact result. I forget that all creatures have personalities, and no two are exactly alike, as well as their experiences may be different.
Top 3 things

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Top 3 things