Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider Coma? or Seizure? (Any advice is welcome)
Health related
Mar 12 2017
10:07:31 PM
First let me say, after alot of orange juice, and love, My suggie, Pebbles is completely back to normal. I'm posting this to see if any of you have answers as to what this was or how to prevent it from happening again, it would be much appreciated. What happened was, earlier today, she was asleep in her cage as usual so we thought nothing of it. She hadn't moved around in a while so I went to check on her and when I did she was completely cold and lifeless. My boyfriend and I panicked. So we called his sister whom we got Pebbles from. She suggested we warm her up and then give her juice when shes more responsive, so we did and after a while of sitting with us by our heater she was fine. Any ideas?
Health related
Mar 13 2017
12:35:35 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
If the room was on the fresh side, it could be torpor, which is a kind of semi-hibernation state, in which case the temperature should be raised only slowly to avoid internal organs damages.
Health related
Mar 13 2017
08:31:46 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
sounds like she was dehydrated. Check the water bottle make sure it's working properly and has water in it.

What diet are you feeding?

When gliders are dehydrated they can't regulate their body temp properly and feel cold to the touch. If gliders are severely dehydrated they will have seizures.

Orange juice is very high in vit c and not our first choice for rehydrating a glider. The vit c makes the internal organs utilize Iron at a faster rate, Iron is already hard on the internal organs so it's not something we like to optimize.

In the future if your glider becomes dehydrated keep the glider wrapped up and warm, use orange gaterade mixed 50 50 with water to rehydrate. Hold the glider vertical and offer a few drops at a time on the side of the mouth to avoid the glider aspirating until the glider starts to drink on its own.

If your not sure if he or she is dehydrated pinch the skin on the middle of her back thumb on one side of her spine finger on the other side of her spine and pinch. If the skin stays up like a tent the glider is dehydrated, if it snaps right back to normal it isn't dehydrated.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders