Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Can you bond one sugar glider to one person, and one to another?
Question
Mar 13 2017
05:26:32 PM
Hello! First post here.

My partner and I just adopted two gliders. So far they're just getting use to us, but fortunately pretty friendly. Already taking food from us and not acting too crazy (mostly).

We're trying to find information on if we can get one to bond with one of us, and get the other to bond with the other one of us. We'd like for them to both be familiar and social with each of us, but we'd like to see if we can kind of have our own.
Anyone have experience with this?

Second question is if the glider will still bond really well with us at a year old? My gut tells me that it should be fine, but I do slightly worry since we didn't get them as babies.

Thanks!
Question
Mar 13 2017
07:31:25 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Gliders, like any other animal... you get out of it what you put into it. Gliders can and do bond with more than one person, if the humans are both putting in the time to bond with the gliders.

I have 9 gliders most of them are "bonded" more to me than my boyfriend but they are social with him and he can handle them. However, I handle them more and for longer periods of time than he does. He helps me feed but they are in their pouches still and he helps me maintain cage cleaning when necessary but again they are sleeping when we do that together.

If you both put the time in they will bond with both of you, if you only put the time in with one of them that one will be more bonded to you etc.. There is no reason that you can each have one in a bonding bag or tent time but if they are a bonded pair they should be housed together and shouldn't be separated for long term unless an issue comes up or it's medically needed.

I've had gliders from 12 weeks oop from breeders to 4 yr old gliders when I got them, their is no age limit for "bonding" with people

ps congrats on your new babies

Edited by - Leela on Mar 13 2017 07:42:52 PM
Question
Mar 13 2017
09:37:22 PM
HoneyB33 Joey Visit HoneyB33's Photo Album 44 Posts
Awesome, yeah they'll still be housed together and together at night. We both work from home so we're hoping she can have one with her, and I'll have one with me. That they'll both be social with us, but her glider Orville will be more bonded to her, and Wilbur will be more bounded to me.

And that's really good to hear that the age doesn't matter. Our babies are a year old but still have never bonded with anyone (we got them from someone who got them from a pet store just weeks before). They seem to be not too scared of people, but still need to bond. Don't think you could start with a better pair!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders