Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Tpg
Tpg
Food, Diet
Mar 21 2017
02:59:11 PM
In Priscilla Price's diet or tpg is there a way to mix vitamins in with the blend before freezing? I know the recipe calls for 1/8 of a teaspoon sprinkled on top. I was just curious. I feel like my gliders are picky and won't eat it that way. I have yet to try Tpg just wondering.

I currently have one glider due to her sister passing, but I have a glider on deposit just waiting on him to get a bit older.

I'm only switching because she seems to be eating less of HPW... wondering if she is getting sick of her current diet.
Food, Diet
Mar 21 2017
03:18:26 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
No there isn't. The reason it has to be sprinkled is because freezing the vitamin supplement may damage the integrity of the ingredients in it, making it unbalanced. .

Do you know why the first one died?
Food, Diet
Mar 21 2017
05:53:48 PM
tcpitzer Starting Member Visit tcpitzer's Photo Album tcpitzer's Journal 8 Posts
Thank you for that info. I'm not sure how she died. I noticed that she had diarrhea and sneezes, but no vommit for a couple days and I had an appointment made for her because it was obvious she was sick. I came home from work the next day to pick her up for the appointment and she had passed. I had both of my gliders on hpw for 9 years. I don't however necessarily think it contributed, but my other glider never got sick and obviously I separated her and cleaned everything once I noticed my Lucy was sick and after she passed. I deep clean their cage every month out side.
Food, Diet
Mar 21 2017
06:01:32 PM
tcpitzer Starting Member Visit tcpitzer's Photo Album tcpitzer's Journal 8 Posts
We chatted previously. I also had asked you about diets. I was going to try the BML diet, but I think I decided on the tpg to try first because I can change up the variety of fruits and vegetables in the recipe and give some variety as to where in the BML you can't. Also a lot of people say they don't think their gliders like the BML due to it being gritty with the rep vitamins in it. I have heard a lot of on both ends of the rep vitamins about how gliders shouldn't have them and others on why it is ok. I know the tpg is more human grade vitamins. So I figured I would give the tpg a try. The only thing is I know they recommend to still put a dry food in their bowls for the day. I haven't ever really gotten my gliders to eat a dry food. So I worry about that at the same time. Although I have never used the pet glider cereal food from the pet glider site. If you have any input on the dry food I would love to hear it.
Food, Diet
Mar 21 2017
06:26:11 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Before you get your new glider, I would get the surviving one vet checked, n fecals done. If it's something contagious your putting the new one at risk of getting it. Then you will be getting into a cycle of losing one then replacing it if something is wrong.

Im not a huge fan of the tpg,personally. Variety isn't necessarily a good thing when it comes to glider diets. I used to think it was but really if your changing fruits n veg all the time and offering different things the diet really isn't that consistent.

I also don't like that the vitamins/mineral supplement is a sprinkle on top each portion and not evenly distributed throughout the staple. Gliders can and do eat around it. If the gliders don't ingest it, it isn't doing them any good, and without them the diet is seriously unbalanced and lacking.

There is NO way to tell if the ingredients are human grade because Priscilla refuses to make the entire list of ingredients public. Another thing I don't like about it, I know what is in it for the most part, but the most part is not enough for me to decide if I want to feed it or not.

Bml uses the reptile calcium and multivitamin because it is the only ones designed for animals in comparable weight and body size to a glider. Human grade is not always a good thing either, human grade also means it's calculated for human consumption ....quite a difference in size, weight, metabolism etc. to a under 200 gram animal.

I tried feeding variety, and always came back to the fruits n veg listed for bml as my gliders preferred fruits n veg, they eat them the best and most consistently. Which also makes me feel very confident they are getting a consistently balanced diet.

I also bought the myth and rumors some gliders don't eat it well because it's gritty... if the recipe is made properly, and blended in a blender or food processor it is not gritty. It does however smell awful, that is true

The choice, is of course yours to make, those are merely my reasons, and what I have learned to help me make my choice.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 21 2017 06:28:40 PM
Food, Diet
Mar 21 2017
09:08:50 PM
Thank you so much your input! It has definitely given me a different perspective! Especially about the vitamins for reptiles vs human grade and the fact that Pricilla has not released the contents of her vitamins!
Tpg

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Tpg