Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Supplementing HPW
Supplementing HPW
Question
Mar 22 2017
04:10:04 PM
I have two gliders I got from a wonderful breeder. She was feeding them HPW, Happy Glider pellets (fruity flavor), avocado, grapes, various greens, wax worms, honeydew, and a couple other items. For some reason, since I've had them, their appetite has been poor. The breeder has tried helping me, but for some reason, these guys aren't eating as much as the breeder makes it sound they were eating. My question is this: using specific measurements (tbsp, cup, tsp, etc.) how much should I be serving them of each item? How frequently? I've been giving them two ice cubes of HPW every night (one each), about five grapes, a handful of spring mix, 10 - 20 wax worms, etc. I leave Happy Glider in the cage at all times. They're well-fed. But in the mornings when I take the food out, it looks like they leave over half of it. So, I cut their portions in half. Still, there are leftovers. I don't want to underfeed them. I just want them to be happy and healthy but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

Helpful responses only, please.

Thank you.
Question
Mar 22 2017
05:49:26 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
hpw portion depends on which type.
original hpw with wombaroo is 1 tablespoon for 2 gliders.
critterlove hpw I think is double that 1 tablespoon per glider.

I use critterlove salad mixes with the hpw. it calls for I think 24 grams per glider of fruits and veggies.

I would suggest looking into those salads as they have a lot of research to be healthy and balanced for the gliders.

I used to measure the fruits and veggies but found a handful of fruits and a handful of veggies was the right amount for 2 gliders, the gliders finish off the corn, peas, green peas. but leave some of the other stuff, I just throw it out in the morning. I use happy glider pellets also.

as long as its healthy diet i would be ok with some leftovers. could be eating less because of new home.

also some of the stuff like green beans look uneaten, but they take out the center part and eat that. some of the peas look uneaten but are eaten.
Question
Mar 30 2017
08:30:36 PM
heebiejeebies Starting Member 2 Posts
Thanks. How many wax worms should they be eating a night? They eat all of them every night. I gave them more and they ate those too. Can I overdo it with wax worms? They seem to be the only thing my gliders enjoy. What is their primary diet staple? Vegetables, insects, HPW?
Question
Apr 02 2017
09:48:36 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I'm not sure about wax worms so hopefully someone else can respond about that. I would say that a diet like HPW or BML would be their main staple. Then add fruits and veggies to supplement. I don't feed mine a lot of insects, except as an occasional 'treat'. Just my luck...my female prefers roaches over meal worms
Question
Apr 03 2017
08:09:08 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
They do not need the wax worms on the HPW diet. Look at the original website from the creator of all of those diets, branded now as Critter Love. It will show you what to feed and how much for all versions.

Critter Love Diet Center
Supplementing HPW

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Supplementing HPW