GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nail Clipping - Nothing Works!?
Question
Apr 11 2017
01:57:43 AM
Hey everyone,

Today was the second time I've trimmed my glider's nails. I thought it would be easier than the first time, but it was just as hard, despite giving her a ton of yogurt drops (her favorite treat).

I watched all of the videos I could find and read a lot of older posts on here on the topic, so I think I'm relatively well-informed. I even had our local breeder demonstrate what he does with one of his gliders.

That means I tried doing it while she's in her pouch, I tried holding her against my chest, I tried putting her on the floor with a blanket over her head.

She always struggles out of it. This mostly applies to her front paws, as the back ones are fairly painless. She'll even twist her paw upside down in order to break free.

The only way I've been able to do it is to hold her down with a blanket as hard as I can without (hopefully) hurting her. It takes over an hour, though, and I think it's pretty traumatizing for both of us.

By the way, we have an abrasive insert in her wheel, which she uses all the time. Despite what some have to say, her nails still get too long after about 3 weeks. Then she starts getting caught on stuff. I really don't want her to hurt herself!

Although I have been successful in trimming her nails, can anyone offer any other tips aside from the basic stuff to make the process easier? Everyone else I've seen makes it look simple and fast. I'm already dreading having to do it again in a few weeks...
Question
Apr 11 2017
07:50:39 AM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
Even after a year with my little ones pedicure time isn't as easy as videos I've seen.
It definitely helps to stay calm and if either you or the glider I'd getting stressed stop for the day and try again the next day. Even if you only get one or two feet done at a time it's progress.
I think each glider has its own personality and what works for some may not for others. My last go at nails I only had one hand left from the day before so I tried letting him just sit on the counter eating a yogurt drop and took his hand and did the nails. It was the easiest nail session I've done everything but I have no idea if it will work next time.
With mine they will happily eat one yogurt drop but after that want nothing to do with treats during nail time so when they're done eating we're done nails for the day.
Hope this helps. Just have patience:-)
Question
Apr 11 2017
10:42:35 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
we have 10 glider to cut nails, so I know how you feel.

two best methods we have used, both with 2 people.

1. using the pouch with the hole. Put glider in pouch during daytime, sleepy time
let glider get calmed down, sometime our gliders take awhile to start to nap again. then cut the nails with treats sometimes. the biggest problem with this method is they like to look for treat out the small hole so I can't pull a leg out, and other times if they won't settle down its hard to find and pull out a leg.
PICTURE AT BOTTOM.

2. if bag fails, (last time we did it at night during playtime and some wouldnt settle down in the bag.) My wife just grabbed the glider strong, fingers around backside and thumb under chin, with one finger over head. this prevented the glider from moving and being able to bite/nip. (most of our gliders only nip on occasion only one will do a blood bite) I pulled out a leg/hand and held it steady so no pull back and the wife cut the nails. But you must be able to hold the glider strong but not hurt it also. They didn't like the cutting alot, but come back to us quick to check for treats and the experience did seem to scare them from us.

I took sandpaper out of wheels for now, doesn't seem to help much BUT YOU ALSO NEED TO CHANGE THE PAPER OFTEN as it gets wet from pee and poo.

that's what I got, 2 PEOPLE, holding so they dont move or bite.
Just be glad you only have ONE!! is that 14 nails to cut, I got me some 140 nails to cut soon.

HERE IS AN INTERNET PICTURE OF THE WAY WE HOLD THE GLIDER FOR NAILCUTTING, AND WE DO IT IN A STRONG BUT NOT STRONG ENOUGH WAY TO HURT THEM. after cutting they just walk away or stick around for a treat.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Apr 11 2017 10:45:53 AM
Question
Apr 11 2017
11:09:20 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Have you tried doing it while they are asleep or very sleepy? I usually take the bag out of the cage and immediately start trimming. When they do start to wake up and squirm (usually happens if I'm doing all of them in the same sitting) I take one out and put it on my lap, give it a treat and trim. I find they squirm less if I keep their arms and hands close to thier bodies.

When I originally tried trimming nails it was a nightmare. I too used the track, but it doesn't stop them from getting long it just slows it down. Which I found to be handy while trying to learn to cut nails.

When holding your gliders play with thier feet. Pull them a little, squeeze the hand as if you were to trim it. Just try to get them use to you messing with thier feet. Over time it gets easier. Even I have issues some days. On those days I put them back and try again the next day.

I hope this helps or gives you ideas on trimming nails :)
Question
Apr 17 2017
02:34:50 AM
NemoNowAndAlways Joey Visit NemoNowAndAlways's Photo Album 21 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

I always do it in the middle of the day, so I don't think that's the issue.

Having two people would undoubtedly help. Unfortunately, my girlfriend is often away on business, so I thought I'd better get used to doing it myself.

Maybe next time I will only try one hand/foot at a time. Sounds like kind of a pain, but perhaps less of a pain than suffering through all four at once. Once she gets used to it, I can probably do more in one sitting.

And thank God I only have 14 nails to trim. I can't imagine doing 140! That alone made me feel better
Question
Apr 23 2017
02:07:35 PM
Minxies Glider Visit Minxies's Photo Album Minxies's Journal 51 Posts
To try and help a little bit.

When my Gliders are with me, I'll often stick my hand in the pouch with them to cuddle, but while I do so I often times will rub and play with their feet. So when they're sleeping and I decide to clip their nails, it doesn't bother them.
For them, me playing with their feet is normal.

They didn't like it at first, but be persistent and slow, gently rub their feet, their toes. Let them grab your hand, etc~

I hope this trick of mine helps you. I know the pain of cutting pets nails T___T

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders