Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
A little overweight
A little overweight
Health related
Jul 02 2017
09:31:27 AM
I have a male sugar glider on the OHPW diet and i feel 1/2 tablespoon hpw with 1 tbsp fruits and 1 tbsp veggies.
He weighs 158 grams.
I've heard a few times they can weigh up to 160g, but he still looks a bit chubby to me. He uses his wheel, runs around at night, and runs around on me every weekend.
Is there any way to help him lose some weight? Maybe cut down on the food amount?
Health related
Jul 02 2017
09:56:19 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
If his weight fits his body frame, he's not over weight. I've got a boy that is 164 grams on the dot who is consistently at 164 and not overweight, I've got a girl at almost 200 grams who is a tad over weight. I was worried about it for the first year or so but have resigned to the fact that she's a pork chop and that isn't gonna change.

There are two places to store excess fat, one is healthy one is not.

The chest ( moobs ) is the healthy place, this is where gliders store good in preparation for torpor. A lot of people assume if a glider has boobs it's overweight, that isn't so. The extra fat is to sustain them until they come out of torpor.

Fat stored in the wing membrane is the unhealthy place, if the membrane feels thick, lumpy instead of thin or smooth this is an indication the glider is overweight.

No I wouldn't reduce his food your not over feeding. If anything get him to stretch out more use your hands like a stair stepper and make him stretch to get to the other hand.
Health related
Jul 02 2017
01:06:29 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
Thank you Leela! He does have moobs haha, i thought it meant he was a bit chubby.
A little overweight

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
A little overweight