GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New glider diet help please
Food, Diet
Jul 09 2017
07:10:42 AM
Hi,

I'm very new to suger gliders and have a lot of questions. Forgive me if it's been answered before, as I tried looking things up but I came across so much different information so I figure I would ask myself.

I recently bought a sugar glider and was given some "monkey pellets" and a bag of vitamins, and told to feed the glider a few pellets and sprinkle some vitamins on an apple every other night and give it to the glider as food. Propper rationing of the vitamins onto the apple make this difficult and my research has shown that this diet could give her a lot of problems down the road and so I want to switch her to a different diet.

1. I found this video on the BML diet and would like to use it. Is this the correct formula to use?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4uzMqy4Iy8&feature=share

2. I'm assuimg I would scoop out 1 Tbs every night and let her eat it. Can I still give her an apple or grape on the side and allow her to eat both (the BML food and apple/grape), or am I supposed to only give her just the BML?

3. If I can give her an apple or grape with the BML, how much apple/grape can I give her?

4. What happens if I give her too much of the BML diet, say I feed her 2 Tbs a night, would this have any negative impact?

5.Ive had her for about a month and have been using the pellet + apple + sprinkled vitamin diet all month (and presumably the original breeders did as well), is there any way to know if she's calcium deficient before something bad happens?

Thank you for any help and advice!

Food, Diet
Jul 09 2017
08:02:36 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
Hello there. I switched my Gliders to believe for about a week but 2 of them wouldn't eat it. So I switched back to their old diet. Go to bmldiet.com. I believe it has the correct recipe, someone correct me if I'm wrong please. The bml diet calls for very specific fruits and veggies to be fed nightly with the mixture. I think it's apple, grapes, honey dew or cantelope, and cherries. The veggies go something like green beans, peas, carrots, and corn.

All diets have a certain recipe to follow to create a balanced calcium to phosphorus ratio. There is a good deal of calcium in the bank mixture (if followed correctly) so the fruits and veggies have a higher phosphorus ratio to level it out.

I hope this helped. It's very confusing to try to figure out what the right diet is for your babies. There are so many, i guess it just boils down to what they'll eat and what you have time for.
Food, Diet
Jul 09 2017
10:07:37 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
http://www.bmldiet.com/ This is the creators website ( Bourbon Hackworth)

It looked like the recipe on the video was correct, but it's safer to use the creators site in case any changes or updates have been made to the diet. Also a lot of people modified the recipe so there are lotssssss of bml recipes out there that aren't accurate which means they also aren't balanced.

Refrigerate the wheat germ after opening otherwise it will go rancid.

you can either scoop it out or pour it into ice cube trays if you use ice cube trays measure out the portion so you know how much to put in each cube of the tray.

You can give a little extra bml until you see how much she actually eats it won't hurt her any. She may eat a little more at first then level off and only need the suggested portion. ( it's a suggested portion, that part isn't strict )

It's ok if there is still some left over too ;) don't stress if she doesn't eat all of it as long as she is eating some of it. But 2 tablespoons for one glider is a lot ontop of the 1 tablespoon of fruit and 1 tablespoon of veg. A gliders stomach is only about the size of your thumbnail, so 4 Tablespoons of food is a bit excessive. Also if there is to much food on the plate some gliders actually eat less.

So for one glider it's suggested to feed the following ( for 2 gliders double it)

1 Tablespoon bml
1 Tablespoon fruit ( apple, cherries pitted, blueberry, melons, grapes)
1 Tablespoon veg ( corn, peas, green beans, carrots)

the one allowable exception to the fruit n veg list is lima beans because in frozen mixed veg there is usually also lima beans in the mix. There aren't many in the mix and are ok to feed as well.

Do NOT use whatever vitamins supplement you have been using once you start bml. Bml already has everything needed in it.

Calcium deficiency usually doesn't happen quickly. It's a long term affect of inadequate diets. Also keep in mind, a lot of gliders have been misdiagnosed with calcium deficiency. The symptoms are compatible with other issues that aren't calcium deficiency. Calcium deficiency really isn't as common of an issue as it once was, but it still gets the blame a lot of the time.

You've chosen a good balanced diet, as long as you follow the directions, don't make substitutions or modifications you should be fine :) there are pics of each ingredient on the recipe so you can make sure to get the right ingredient.

Edited by - Leela on Jul 09 2017 10:16:17 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders