Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My glider lost weight too fast
Health related
Jul 10 2017
12:35:51 PM
When I got my glider she was 2(She's 3 now) and overweight. At the beginning of this year my other one passed away so I got 2 more since my glider got depressed.I changed their diet to different pellets. My glider has started losing weight fast very recently. She's started running on her wheel a lot so i don't know if it's from all the exercise. She's been acting normal and is no longer depressed. I'm really worried about her though. She isn't skinny enough right now for it to be unhealthy. Im going to try to give her some Pediasure. Does anyone have any idea what could've cause her to lose all this weight?

Edited by - LostOncer on Jul 10 2017 12:36:43 PM
Health related
Jul 10 2017
01:38:51 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Are you weighing her? If not, then you might get a kitchen scale that weighs in grams ($14-Walmart.)
Health related
Jul 10 2017
02:06:39 PM
LostOncer Starting Member 3 Posts
I don't have a scale to weigh her. I noticed how light she felt and she looked a lot skinnier
Food, Diet
Jul 10 2017
05:20:58 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
Hi, I would suggest buying a scale also. It's important to monitor her weight. You can get one for $10 or so at Walmart. I have also read that feeding them things like sweet potato, pumpkin and extra mealies can help them pack on some grams. Which diet is she on?
Health related
Jul 10 2017
09:18:05 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
So sorry that one of your gliders passed away. I know how difficult that can be. In addition to getting a scale and keeping track of her weight, I would suggest taking her to an exotic vet for a wellness exam to make sure there's not a medical reason for her weight loss. It's normal for a gliders weight to fluctuate a bit, but a significant loss or gain really should be addressed. I've been through this with both of my gliders and usually it's a simple fix like modifying their diet. It could be she's still dealing with the loss of your other glider and it's affecting her appetite. Has she been eating well? Are your 2 newest gliders in the same cage with her?
Health related
Jul 10 2017
10:03:14 PM
LostOncer Starting Member 3 Posts
My 2 other gliders do stay in the cage with her. I've started taking her with me during the day with an apple or other fruit so I can make sure she eats.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders