Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Chewing on wiffle balls
Chewing on wiffle balls
Question
Jul 21 2017
09:52:44 PM
I gave my gliders some wiffle balls to play with a few weeks ago. They love them! Well today I noticed they were chewing on one or doing something that is destroying it.

Is this a problem? Can I still let them have them or should I take them out. Is this even something to worry about?

Thank you
Question
Jul 22 2017
06:26:13 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
I wouldn't worry, they usually chew up their food and spit it out right? I don't think they would Swallow something like this. Maybe it's benefiting their teeth? I could be wrong, these are just my thoughts :)
Question
Jul 22 2017
06:39:23 AM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
I would check the bottom of their cage and (this may sound gross) their poop. If you see plastic on the bottom of their cage, they probably aren't eating it. If there's none in their poop, they aren't eating it. As long as it's not getting swallowed I think it'd be fine :)
Question
Jul 22 2017
07:50:56 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
They won't eat it. But I would replace chewed up ones like that with new ones. The chewed areas are rough and the gliders will continue to go for the same spot.

Now that you know you have a chewer you will need to inspect toys and wheels regularly ( especially the rim on the front plate and the track if it's plastic )

If you have a larger hollow toy they can chew their way inside and be difficult to get back out. Any plastic thing with an entrance hole will need checked too if they chew the edges of the opening it can and has worn fur off and caused injuries.

Entrance holes can be sanded smooth and repaired, wiffle balls not so much lol just give them new ones when they get chewed n removed the gnarled up ones.

Question
Jul 22 2017
10:52:55 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Thank you!

My male is the chewer and I've known it for a while. He does have things to chew because if he doesn't he will go after the wheel. I guess wiffle balls are fun to chew too XD
Chewing on wiffle balls

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Chewing on wiffle balls