Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HPW questions
HPW questions
Food, Diet
Aug 25 2017
07:08:01 PM
I recently started feeding my glider the Critter Love Complete diet. I mixed up a batch, poured it in ice cube trays, and give her 1 cube per day, which fortunately she loves. However, I'm now questioning whether I'm doing this right. I was mixing up a new batch yesterday, blending it for the recommended 2 to 3 minutes, and a friend commented that the mixture seemed very runny, basically like water. Is it supposed to be a thicker consistency? Also, should I be keeping the opened bag in the refrigerator or freezer to keep it fresher?

Lastly, I understand this diet is well known and recommended but I ran across some reviews that criticized the use of "dehydrated and synthetic ingredients" in this particular diet, including the used of "synthetic vitamin k (k3) or Menadione" which has been banned by the FDA for use in human supplements due to liver issues and toxicity. Peggy actually addressed this issue awhile back, and I know they are continually testing, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Food, Diet
Aug 25 2017
10:12:02 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
the mix ratio is on the back of the bag, I think it suggests putting in frig but I don't remember.
Our mixture would melt and look like yellow water with sand at the bottom. The powder didn't seem to dissolve that well.
Food, Diet
Aug 28 2017
02:24:40 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Thank you for your reply. That's exactly how it looks after the cube melts, so it's helpful to know it's pretty common. Are you still feeding your gliders HPW or have you switched to something else? I was thinking of switching to BML but I've been having trouble finding all the ingredients.
Food, Diet
Aug 30 2017
03:36:51 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Tiakristin3

Thank you for your reply. That's exactly how it looks after the cube melts, so it's helpful to know it's pretty common. Are you still feeding your gliders HPW or have you switched to something else? I was thinking of switching to BML but I've been having trouble finding all the ingredients.

We got some wombaroo with some rescue gliders, we made Original HPW up for them. Seemed to be cheaper but slightly harder to make. We still had our original 4 on instant HPW. We put instant in cage alongside OHPW. The gliders eat OHPW and did NOT eat the instant at all. (they had been eating most of it before.)
So we switched to OHPW. 1/4 cup wombaroo (this cost most but the 250 gram and now 1000 gram box last a long time.) raw honey $40 a gallon, 3 eggs (very cheap) and 1 tablespoon pee pollen (large container $8).
Food, Diet
Sep 02 2017
02:22:11 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. Just curious, do you leave the shells on when you mix the eggs in? Our exotic vet suggested doing that (I'm assuming for extra calcium?). Also, the recipe I found online said not to use raw or unfiltered honey. Do you happen to know why? I always thought raw honey was the best.
Food, Diet
Sep 02 2017
11:04:01 AM
egg shells. I used a video available online and it and the recipe doesn't anything about leaving egg shells in.
My Thoughts. gliders chew the food, suck out the nutrients spit out leftovers. shells would not be a good chewing food. I posted on another site once about adding calcium powder and they said HPW has all the calcium your gliders need. And finally just added a small bit of calcium powder seems like a much better way to add calcium if it was needed.

I use the OHPW recipe, the original maker is now registered under Critterlove. Critterlove has filtered raw honey as the suggested ingredient.
Pamper glider says ,per critterlove, raw unfiltered honey
sugarglider.info does not specify which one.

pasteurized honey in basically sugar with all the good benefits heated out.
some OTHER diets do suggest pasteurized honey.
Food, Diet
Sep 04 2017
01:46:49 AM
Thanks so much for clarifying
HPW questions

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HPW questions