Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Boy bites at night
Boy bites at night
Question
Sep 02 2017
02:24:39 AM
We've had my boy for about 3 months now, and as far as we can tell he really quite likes us. Doesn't crab or run away and he would rather be in our clothes than the pouch most of the time. He likes to come back to us during tent time. There's just one thing I'm not sure on, he bites really hard at night. He does it a little during tent time but mostly in his cage. He doesn't give the usual signs of being scared, no hand raised or noises or running and hiding, he jumps right on my hand and gets to chomping. It's been getting harder and harder, and the psst thing doesn't work and neither does distracting him. Sometimes he'll try as hard as he can to not get off and just keep on chomping. I'm really concerned it means he doesn't like us. He doesn't do it during the day, he will groom though. And I always make sure I wash my hands at night just to make sure there's nothing on there. I'm pretty concerned and confused about what this could mean. D:
Oh! Also during tent time when he does it it's when he jumps back on mine or my boyfriend's hand an he'll give a good nip then jump off. Rinse and repeat.

Also, sorry if this is long and something is wrong. First time poster and worried mommy.
Question
Sep 02 2017
11:15:15 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
We have one glider that sometimes will work his way from hand to elbow. once at elbow he will start chewing our skin hard. I let him do it once for a bit to see what he will do, he kept it up till I was almost bleeding.
I don't know if he is trying to take off what he sees as bad skin, as he almost always does it on my wife and I elbows or if he looking for nectar from there. Or he just thinks he is grooming, he will lick and groom normal in other area's.

Our solution is to just move him and if he goes back to the elbow again I just put him back in cage for awhile.
Question
Sep 12 2017
05:11:05 AM
Kirda Starting Member 2 Posts
The problem is that he does really only while he's in the cage. I try to interact with him in there at night if I have to get up for water or to use the bathroom. It just makes it really hard when I open the door and he immediately jumps on my hand and bites it. He's much like yours where I'm sure if I left him to it he'd draw blood. I've had some sizable teeth marks before.
I don't really want this to go on forever as it makes it tough to hang out with him when he's actually the most awake. :/
Question
Sep 12 2017
06:48:28 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
you got me on this one, I dont have one that is tame or bonded that bites much.
Link will get on my arm, get a ride to the kitchen where I will get mealworms. but he is very impatient and will nip me once he sees the mealworm container and I dont get him one fast enough or he finishes eating one and I don't have more for him fast enough. He just gives my arm a quick nip.

I would give him more time, tsk him away if he bites.
Boy bites at night

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Boy bites at night