Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pocket Pets
Pocket Pets
Question
Sep 10 2017
06:48:31 PM
Ok so I have read that Pocket Pets is sketchy as far as the "facts" they claim. Should I avoid them all together when buying things for my gliders? Is suncoast gliders safe to purchase from? specifically their odor preventative products? I ask because I think theyre associated with PP. I may be wrong. Can someone please shed some light on the topic?
Question
Sep 10 2017
08:05:17 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I adopted my first glider (Dulce) from Pocket Pets when they were at a fair a couple years ago. I had never heard of Sugar Gliders before so I really didn't know what I was getting into. I trusted them to give me accurate information. Like you, had I heard or read about some of the negative information that is now out there about them I might have avoided them and gone to a breeder. However, thank goodness I didn't know, because I would've missed out on having the most precious female glider imaginable!

I now have a second glider (Gracie) who I did get from a breeder. She has been slower to bond than Dulce was (although that may have more to do with the individual glider and not necessarily where they came from), but is equally as precious and sweet! It's interesting to compare their personalities and temperaments.

As far as being associated with PP, I believe Critter love is associated with them as well yet they (CL) are a very reputable company, with a great diet (HPW) and toys and products that are safe.

If I had it to do over again, this is probably what I would do: For a sweet, healthy glider, I would definitely consider getting another one from Pocket Pets, but only after doing a lot of research and learning as much about gliders as possible, especially about the care they require. With PP, you're exactly right about the "facts" they claim. This is my biggest complaint about them and I feel they are often misleading and doing such a disservice to these special animals. They make it sound so simple..."clean the cage every 2 to 3 weeks, give them PP food with just a slice of apple once a day (no veggies or additional fruits), and they really don't require much time or attention". According to our exotic vet, because of this false information, many gliders that are purchased from PP are surrendered/rehomed because people just don't realize what is involved.

I don't think I would buy products from them anymore. The starter cage is too small, especially if you have more than one glider. Their bonding pouches are pretty cheap and my glider chewed through both of them right away. I purchased a swinging ladder that my glider loved but it had really sharp edges and it didn't seem very well made. I was afraid she'd get hurt from it so I ended up removing it. It's been awhile since I've purchased things from PP, including treats, toys, and odor preventative products. I prefer to use more reputable companies (Exotic Nutrition for cages, Critter Love, and The Pet Glider). I'm not familiar with Suncoast but after looking at their website it sounds like they have a similar philosophy as PP. However, I noticed they encourage people to "do your own research" which is really wise. Read labels carefully. For instance, I went to a pet store recently looking for cage cleaner to use on my parrot's cage. I had it narrowed down to 2 products, bird cage wipes and small animal cage wipes. I assumed they were similar until I compared ingredients. The bird wipes were much more natural but the small animal wipes contained additional ingredients that could be toxic, especially to small animals.

You obviously care very much for your gliders and are doing your best to make sure they're getting great care. Keep up the good work and enjoy your sweet babies!

Question
Sep 12 2017
06:52:53 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by jjett95

Ok so I have read that Pocket Pets is sketchy as far as the "facts" they claim. Should I avoid them all together when buying things for my gliders? Is suncoast gliders safe to purchase from? specifically their odor preventative products? I ask because I think theyre associated with PP. I may be wrong. Can someone please shed some light on the topic?

I would get my glider information from other sources, not pocket pets. I believe they are misleading or outright lie or omit information to get the sale.
I think their sales reps are commission based and will work at making the sale vs providing the best information.
That was my experience.
Question
Sep 13 2017
08:48:49 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I am not personally fond of many of their practices, some of it more strongly than others. Although, they have improved in some manner with diet, according to recent studies, it's not that bad. That is, of course you use the "Glider Gravy" which of course is CLC, but in all honesty, PP doesn't push the GG has a staple, they're still pushing their "Glider-mins" and that annoys me.

That being said, I have ordered items from them in the past. I ordered a cute little hammock & tunnel set when I first got my gliders (and they were not PP gliders). They needed some safe fleece cage wear and I thought the set was so cute. It's great quality, though it should be, I still use it, as it's in great conditions still. I did also order another fleece item from them, I haven't used it as much, but I kind of like it, the quality is good.

Suncoast is a good, reputable vendor, but sadly are temporarily closed due to hurricane. I would order from there, I actually had a cage I got from there.

EN also has some good items, my gliders current cage is from there, and I also had the Madagascar cage at one time. You just have to be choosy when ordering from them, as well as PP if you want to purchase from them.

Edited by - TJones09 on Sep 13 2017 08:50:36 PM
Pocket Pets

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pocket Pets