Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Owner!
New Owner!
Information
Sep 11 2017
07:27:00 PM
I just recently adopted a single sugar glider (who previously had a cage mate, that ended up getting lost outside). He seems to be getting used to my boyfriend and I but I would love to hear any tips/tricks about bonding, cage furnishings, etc.

The couple we got him from had no toys/wheels/nests for him, only a food dish, water bottle, heating rock and small cave.
(here are a few pictures of Thomas now :) )

Information
Sep 12 2017
10:54:05 AM
lhaff2004 Starting Member 1 Posts
we just got 2 sugars 2 days ago and the little girl slipped out of my hand and now shes lost PLZ HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Information
Sep 12 2017
06:31:07 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
If you lost her inside your house, try putting out yummy treats and food and wait for her to come out. If it were me I'd use one of my extra cages and put the food in there so hopefully when she went in to get it I could just close the door. Make sure toilet lids are down. Wait until it's dark, keep the lights low. Hopefully she'll come out to find food.
Information
Sep 14 2017
12:23:26 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
If you haven't already, get a glider safe wheel. Wodent wheels aren't safe so don't bother wasting your money on those. Many cat toys are good for gliders as long as there is no cat nip. Bird toys and children toys (no small pieces) can work well too. You can also make some toys using things from the dollar store. Don't use the heating rock. Just get them a pouch to sleep in instead.

Try and hold them as often as you can. During the day hold them in a bonding pouch or bra and at night play with them in a glider safe room or tent. Holding them in a bra can be risky if they are known to run, but I have found it to helps speed up the bonding process. It will allows you to go on with your day while they are asleep. They will get used to your scent, movements, and the way you sound. Lots of movement at first may make It difficult for them to sleep so it's good to hold them while watching TV or something. If your boyfriend wants to he can just put them in his shirt. It may be more difficult for him to move around so he could do it while reading a book or something.

If they do escape throw a blanket, towel, shirt, or any other thing like that on them. It stops them enough for you to grab them and put them away. If you can't seem to catch them then make it so they can't leave the room. Its important to put food and water out and keep the cage door open. If you have more than one glider and a spare cage then keep the spare open not the main cage. If you don't have a spare than put the food and water out with a sleeping pouch. and do the rest of the thing the person before me said to do.

Hope this helps at all :)

Edited by - lilsistar on Sep 14 2017 12:24:42 AM
Information
Sep 26 2017
04:02:09 PM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Congrats on you new baby! :) in addition to the other things that have been said, you also could take a little square of fleece and put it in your bra during the day or sleep with it at night, just get your scent all over it. Then put the fleece in his sleeping pouch, this will help him get used to your smell when you can't be with him.if you have a sewing machine you can see him things, Walmart normally has a yard of fleece for around $3. ( check out pinterst, there's a lot of good toy ideas on there. And etsy, a lot of good stuff there.) hope this helped:)
Information
Nov 05 2017
10:26:54 AM
Coral and Sparky Joey 19 Posts
Congrats! She's so lucky to have you, you seem to know what you're doing so far as a beginner. I recommend just some cool toys off of Amazon or suggie websites to run around on at night when Thomas gets up. He looks so curious and cute! My gliders LOVE hammocks like a pineapple or strawberry hammock, I recommend getting a small one so he can get in it and be warm. Wheels & ladders are always a decent toy that they enjoy. Good luck with your new curious furry friend! :)

Edited by - Coral and Sparky on Nov 05 2017 10:27:36 AM
New Owner!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Owner!