GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Swollen Cheek
Swollen Cheek
Health related
Nov 04 2017
12:30:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

So I went away for the week and when I got home last night I noticed Lia's cheek was all swollen between her mouth/nose/eye and there was a small scab. (The person taking care of her while I was away did not notice...grrrrr) She was still eating, drinking water and playing in her wheel, so that's a good sign. I called the vet this morning and asked if the one that specialized in Gliders was there. I was told yes and to come in at 11.

This morning her cheek was bigger and she had some eye goo. I got her to the vet and first off it was not the glider vet but another one who does small animals. He didn't know gliders at all and didn't even know how to pick her up properly. Had the receptionist not lied to me, I would have brought her to another glider vet I know in the city. But at this point it was too late.

Anyways, he thinks it's a tooth abscess. When we looked in her mouth, the gums around one of her back teeth was red and swollen. He gave me Baytril and Clavamox and said that usually antibiotics will take care of the infection though she might have to have the tooth extracted but only the other vet would know and does that. He asked if I wanted to lance the cheek to try and release the fluid which I agreed to. When they came back with her, the side of her face was totally open. They said that they took the scab off when they lanced. (They didn't even giver her any anesthetic or anything) I almost started to cry when I saw her. It's such a big wound for such a little face. I asked if I should clean it and he just said I could wipe any gunk away with a paper towel.

We are back home now and I set up a separate cage for her. I put in a heating block and extra blankets, food and some water. She's hiding out in her pouch and hasn't come out yet, but then again it is the middle of her night. I'm debating if I should go out and get some saline solution to try and keep the wound clean. Thoughts from the experts on here? I have another appointment set up Monday morning for the real vet and hopefully will know more then. I'm just not sure what else I should do for my little girl. I'm so worried about her. I'm also thinking I'll only giver her blended up food tonight so that she doesn't have to chew and use her bad tooth.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Edited by - GliderCatMomma on Nov 04 2017 12:50:43 PM
Health related
Nov 04 2017
07:14:03 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
I am not going to be helpful but felt compelled to comment about how your vet treated Lia. My heart is aching for you and I probably would put a comment on Yelp and notify the upper management.
Swollen Cheek

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Swollen Cheek