Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Am I doing it wrong?
Am I doing it wrong?
Question
Nov 04 2017
11:37:52 PM
I’ve had my glider just over a week now 10-11 weeks out of the pouch. He will take food and snacks from me occasionally let me pet him in his cage but bites every time I handle him. I cleared out a spare bedroom and made a play area for him tonight and that didn’t go well. Afterwards I held him cupped against me for an hour he was calm all but the first minute or two. I transferred him to my girlfriend he bit her then escaped in the living room I was able to grab him off the blinds I understand he was irritated at that point. Am I giving him to much to fast with the spare room and all that.
Question
Nov 05 2017
05:02:23 PM
Coral and Sparky Joey 19 Posts
He's just very feisty. Treat him well and show him you love him and give him plenty of attention and he'll grow out of it. I have the same problem, but I did this and she is pretty calm now except for the occasional bite that makes me scream bloody murder.
Question
Nov 05 2017
08:10:19 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
NOT TO BE MEAN but,
yes i feel you are doing it wrong.
the only thing that wants to GRAB your glider is a bird or snake, and they grab him to EAT him. so STOP with the grabbing. He thinks you are trying to eat him.

today we took out connor in his sleeping pouch, never grabbed or touched him, we transported him to bathroom. I had a towel and two baby toys to explore a boat and a mailbox. After a few minutes I lifted up pouch and gently forced him out, then put pouch out of reach. (note: connor was somewhat tame by first owner, but when his cage mate died they kind of gave up on him, left him in small cage and didn't interact with him much.) so connor crabs like crazy in pouch, but once out we sat an bathroom and watched him explore. we offered him some mealworms and yogurt drops. He ran on us, sniffed us, and explored the room. I offered him my fist low and slow and let him sniff my scent. After about 40 minutes we showed him front of his sleeping pouch, he went in and we put him back in cage. Other then a quick short pet we didn't touch him or try to grab him. It was a very good trip with the running on us.
someday in the weeks ahead I will try to get him to get on my hand by himself to get a treat. Once he starts trusting us, I can go for the pickup, with probably get a small nip (no blood). But mostly I just offer the gliders my hand or arm and let them get on willingly, specially since that will mean a trip to refrigerator and a few mealworms.
Question
Nov 05 2017
09:21:42 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Most often, most gliders do not like to be held. Only a rare few will tolerate it and even more rare enjoy being held, and that's not until after they have developed a trusting relationship with their handler (aka-bonded).

Bonding is a term used for trusting relationship, and it needs to be built. Slow down, read bonding techniques and do more research. Do not force your glider(s) into anything, they bite because they're trying to defend their self. Take it easy and slow.
Am I doing it wrong?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Am I doing it wrong?