Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cat Litter, Whats so toxic?
Research Information
Nov 23 2017
06:10:07 AM
I’ve been reading the forum regarding poop tray lining for poop/urine absorbtion and i found out that plenty are not recommending cat litter as they are so called “toxic” or “dusty”.
Not exactly true.

Some cat litter which are in pellet form are made using recycled paper. The ones i used, Breeder Celect, had no added chemicals and it’s biodegradable and almost dust free.

Some forumers says NO to cat litter but YES to Carefresh bedding. IMHO, carefresh is much more dusty. Colored ones have added chemicals and carefresh doesnt really last that long.

Outcome - I personally think that cat litter are safe as long as its chemical & fragrance free. I’ve been using pellet cat litter for my little hammies for the past 15 years and didnt have any problems. Carefresh made them sneeze at times. Pine or chedar is a NO NO at all times.

The ones i use - Error, missing URL. /
Research Information
Nov 23 2017
08:30:25 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I don't know about recycled paper pellets. I used to use Yesterday's News for my little dragon at one time. Some others on the dragon forum used it, but my dragon's vet strongly recommend that I stop using it, so I did. Maybe it's those kind are not toxic, but I personally rather not deal with the mess. It's much easier to clean a bare tray on daily basis, especially with food droppings sitting in the pan all day long. Also, there are safe liners that work really well also from Jana's Suggie-Shoppe.
Research Information
Nov 23 2017
09:53:57 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I realize you are talking about using litter for the gliders cage for the drop tray. But I think the toxicity issue comes in from actual cat litter boxes.

If gliders get into a litter box it can cause them to have Toxoplasmosis, a disease that results from infection with the Toxoplasma gondii parasite, one of the world's most common parasites. Infection usually occurs by eating undercooked contaminated meat, exposure from infected cat feces, or mother-to-child transmission during pregnancy.

Personally, I find any kind of litter for gliders to be a royal pain in the butt. I loveeeeeeeeeeee Jana's liners!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders