Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
Questions from a new Sugar Glider owner!
Question
Nov 25 2017
10:41:11 AM
Hi! This is my first post. I've had my Sugar glider for a month now (she's 14 weeks old) and I had a few questions.

1.) She has been sneezing a lot today and yesterday. It sounds just like when she is grooming except she does it constantly. While she is playing, eating, and running around all over me. I don't see any other symptoms, is this normal?

2.) Google said that if a sugar glider constantly sleeps more than 16 hours then they're ill... When I first got her she was awake from 12am-6am. I haven't tried to change her sleep patterns, but now she is awake from 10pm-7:30am with an hour nap in between. That is still only 8 hours that she is awake. It's also winter time, but some things I have read say it matters and some that it doesn't.

3.) What temp should my room be? Some stuff says it needs to be above 70 and others say 75. My room is 72 and she has lots of fleece in her pouch.

4.) There are lots of opinions about diets... so I have a mixture. Half of The Pet Glider Fresh Diet, half of Smart HPW, pellets (just left available for her, but not part of her main diet), and a small bit of fruit (slice of apple or half a strawberry or a few pieces of spinach with a light drizzle of honey).

Thank y'all so much!!
Question
Nov 25 2017
10:56:41 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

1. don't know. Our gliders make LOTS of different noises. We have one, Gus, that has "always all the time" clicked his teeth together. At least it seems all the time. We have 11 others, and some we re-homed after rescuing, and none of them teeth chatter.

2. Our gliders spend a TON of time in the pouch, but I can see them moving, groom, and just hanging out in the warm pouch at times. So IN POUCH does not mean "sleeping". After a few hours in play room, I bring them back to cage 11pm or so and they should be ready to be out of pouch, but NO, after 2 hours playing in playroom, they just sleep a ton more instead of being up at night.
some of ours are up at 9:30pm on wheel, others get out of pouch at 1AM!! then at 8am some are sleeping and some others are out looking for morning treats from me!

3. gliders live in a warm country, BUT at night in winter it gets cold. They are out getting food at night, but they sleep together for warmth, being warm is important because they are small, but at room temperature and with fleece stuffed pouch they can keep nice and warm. If they have food to eat to create body heat to stay warm they are good. your setup seems fine.

4. I would stick to ONE diet, and following it as closely as possible.
Question
Nov 26 2017
12:21:42 AM
Scout.e.Morris Starting Member 4 Posts
Thank you! You are super helpful!! I am still concerned about the diet... The HPW has essentials I feel that I cannot make at home; however, the Pet Glider Fresh Diet recipe is mostly fruits, vegetables, and calcium. The HPW is kind of pellet based, so I don't want to rely completely on it, but again, it has fancy stuff like pee pollen and all kinds of vitamins that are hard to replicate at home. I'm following the PGF diet except instead of 1 1/2 tablespoons (of main meal), it's 1 tablespoon and 1/2 a tablespoon of HPW. Besides the 1/2 teaspoon of HPW, everything else is according to the PGF. Is this ok or still not recommended? And if so, which is better?
Question
Nov 26 2017
11:49:21 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Scout.e.Morris

Thank you! You are super helpful!! I am still concerned about the diet... The HPW has essentials I feel that I cannot make at home; however, the Pet Glider Fresh Diet recipe is mostly fruits, vegetables, and calcium. The HPW is kind of pellet based, so I don't want to rely completely on it, but again, it has fancy stuff like pee pollen and all kinds of vitamins that are hard to replicate at home. I'm following the PGF diet except instead of 1 1/2 tablespoons (of main meal), it's 1 tablespoon and 1/2 a tablespoon of HPW. Besides the 1/2 teaspoon of HPW, everything else is according to the PGF. Is this ok or still not recommended? And if so, which is better?

I use OHPW it has NO pellets in it.
I use OHPW, Wombaroo has all calcium and vitamins, I add nothing.
I go to local health store GNC, or local honey seller, get enough bee pollen to last a long time (2 gliders) 10/12 oz $10.00. GNC for me is 5 minutes away.

I feed 12 gliders so I have to make a large portion. The biggest thing with OHPW is freezer space for my 6 gallons of fruits and veggies, and 6 litres of OHPW I make at one time.
The second thing is the time to cut up fresh fruits.
Last thing is RAW honey is a little expensive $40 a gallon and I have to go 40 minutes away to get it.
But with 2 gliders it would be much less space and cost.

Fruits and veggies, local store...easy...cut up harder
Honey...never expires so I buy large amounts.. if you can get raw honey easy great.
Pee pollen...easy, cheap.
eggs....easy, cheap.
Wombaroo powder.. medium cost, but goes a LONG way. $50 for 1 kilo box last me about 1 year for 12 gliders. a 250 gram box is $16 last a long time 2 gliders. You can add pee pollen from pampered glider website for $24.

Once I got a system I can make Ohpw pretty quickly, cut up and freeze fruit a little harder, put frozen veggies in container after weighing easy.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion