Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Bonding tips please?
Bonding tips please?
Question
Jan 02 2018
06:46:21 PM
Hello Ive had my joey for 4 weeks now. I got him when he was 11 weeks old.

He doesnt seem to want to bond. Ive been trying tricks from both my breeder and youtubers.

From rolling back his pouch and feeding him treats, to tub time and letting him run all over me. to bonding pouch for a few hours at a time. He still runs and hides from me in his cage. in the tub he'll only climb on me if im completely still. if i move or speak he jumps off. in his pouch he'll crab like no tomorrow and try to bite. However if i give him a treat first while he is in the pouch, or under his blanket he'll let me in at give him light pets. I managed to get him to fall asleep in his pouch with my hand in it a few times. but in the cage he'll take his treat then run.

I know it takes time for them to bond, but It doesnt really look any different from a few weeks ago, and i'd thought i'd at least see signs of him getting better. so im wondering if he is just shy or refuses to bond with me.

Any other tips I could do to help him get more comfortable with me?
Question
Jan 03 2018
05:33:07 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
my thoughts.
get out of the tub!!
he's little and scared, what can he do in the tub but get on it and freak out. then you force him on you and freak him out more.

Find a small comfortable room, closet, bathroom maybe with carpet, or put down a mat. give him some stuff, a wheel, a kids plastic doll house, something to explore, even a bundled up towel.
get a few treats, maybe put out a few he can find around. then sit and let him explore. play on your phone, read a book, listen to the radio. give him time to move around. keep away the pouch and don't let him stay in towel to long. try to nicely keep him exploring. TURN DOWN THE LIGHTS!! KEEP IT DARK OR DARKER, DARKER THE BETTER FOR HIM.
Question
Jan 03 2018
09:13:41 PM
Ballistic_Glider Joey 26 Posts
I have a girl JUST like yours. We got Luna when she was just about a week or two of being able to separate from her mother. I’ve had my two for about 2 months now and she is still partially like yours! She still crabs and runs away, etc. when I am paying attention to her. But, after doing all of the bonding techniques like you are, she finally is warming up. Please, just be patient!! It really does work! If you really do see no change soon, try taking your suggie out everyday. In the cage while feeding him treats, open the cage door and hold onto the treat while feeding him. Let him eat it out of your hand, that helped me with Luna lots. If he lets you, pet him gently or just talk to him. If your glider runs from you once the cage door is open and refuses to take it, put it through the bars and hold it.
Question
Jan 05 2018
11:09:00 AM
Amanda212 Starting Member 9 Posts
Hello,

I have two gliders, Lilly and Lulu. Both of my gliders took a while to bond. They are still not fully bonded and they are both a year old now. When I first got them, they never liked to come out of their cage and if they did they would run away from me and avoid me at all costs. Now, almost a year later, both girls love being out of their cage. Lulu will glide right to me and sit on my shoulder all day if I let her. Lilly is a little more stubborn. She will come out of her cage, but will only stay on me for a minute or two before she runs off to explore. If I shake the bag of yogurt drops, both girls will glide to me in an instant. (Sometimes I let the girls run around my family room. When I want them to come back to me I just shake the bag, it works every time!)

Don't get discouraged, it just really takes time. When I first got Lilly and Lulu, after a month of consistently trying to bond with them and failing at pretty much everything I tried, I began to get discouraged myself. (I know this is not good, and I probably should not have done this) but I began to get so discouraged that there was a week or two where I kind of just gave up. I of course fed them and changed their water, but instead of letting them out of the cage I would spend some time sitting outside their cage. I would feed them some treats and talk to them, but I would not allow them to come out. (They did have plenty of toys and a wheel, not that that makes it right, but they still did get exercise). I was tired of always trying to find them once they hid, and Lilly was (and still is a little bit) of a biter. After the couple weeks I decided to try again and then this is where the bonding process really seemed to take off. They actually seemed to miss me! I saw improvement first with Lulu, then with Lilly. I first noticed the girls hanging around me more, then I noticed when I'd walk by the cage they were always out in front wanting me to take them out.

Now it is a year later and both girls have made incredible progress. They are still not fully bonded, but I would say Lulu is close, and everyday I see tremendous progress with Lilly. My best advice is to keep at it because once you start seeing the improvement it is the best feeling to realize you have started to gain their trust. Every glider is different, so you will learn your own tricks with them (like me shaking the bag of treats for them to come). You're doing great, so just keep on doing what you are doing! You will get there, even if you feel like you won't.
Question
Jan 27 2018
09:59:03 AM
Kate.marie71 Starting Member 0 Posts
Hey there! I bought my now 5 month of female sugar glider about a month and a half ago. Reece ( my glider ), shakes like a leaf when we first got her and would crab non stop, which is understandable, so I gave her some space to explore and settle in. After about 2 weeks I finally decided to try and carry her around in a travel pouch so she gets use to me and people in general. I even would go into a small bathroom with treats and let her get used to me. Even after many attempts she would not let me get near her. So I did some reading and found that a friend might help her calm down and feel more safe and comfortable. So I found a nice family who was looking to re-home their sweet glider Rosie. We brought Rosie home and set Rosie’s and Reece’s cages together so they can smell each other and meet. After about 3 days I took Reece and Rosie into the same small bathroom to meet each other in person. Rosie was all over me she was smelling me and climbing all over. Reece his in the corner waiting for Rosie to come back so she can hid behind her. Now I’ve had Rosie for about a 3 weeks now and she loves to climb all over me and will come right on me. Reece is the exact opposite I will get near the mini hanging pouch she is in and she will crab loudly and lung at me. She bit me at least five times now all drawing blood. I know that bonding doesn’t happen over night and persistent is key. I just don’t know if this behavior is normal or not?? What should I do to make her more comfortable with me. She was fine with the breeder, she would climb into her and not bite and crab. I’m worried that she won’t ever like her new home.
Bonding tips please?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Bonding tips please?