Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
Introductions
Introductions
Research Information
Jan 03 2018
07:10:56 PM
So I’ve had sugar gliders for almost 3 years now. We started out with 2, Elysia and alexander, then they had two boys speedy, and arsenal, then they had another pair of twins, ivy and daredevil. Recently I rescued two more from a bad living situation. A neutered male and a female. Charlie and Sweet Dee. I’ve been looking through many ways to introduce them and the timing of introductions but the move has stressed sweet dee and she’s started over grooming causing bald spots above her eyes. I’m not sure if she’s always done this, I’ve read that there are some gliders that do it no matter what. We have them in separate cages, and we gave sweet dee and Charlie the biggest one since before they were basically in a hamster cage. How long should I wait to make introductions? Until she isn’t over grooming? Thanks in advance!

Edited by - Tabbie on Jan 03 2018 07:15:46 PM
Research Information
Jan 03 2018
07:12:05 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
Ps, Elysia only has 3 legs and daredevil is mostly blind. Will that effect how the new ones get along?
Research Information
Jan 04 2018
10:37:28 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
most of our introductions have gone well.
Is alexander still intact? putting another neutered male (charlie) in with him and his family may make it harder. putting the new gliders in with a family could make it more difficult. We haven't done anything like that. In our cases, 4 introductions, 3 when great, one had a partial failure - we put 3 in with 8 and one of the three was not accepted.
Research Information
Jan 07 2018
12:50:08 AM
Alexander is still intact. We have their cages near each other now and they don’t seem to be angry about it.
Research Information
Jan 07 2018
01:30:16 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Tabbie

Alexander is still intact. We have their cages near each other now and they don’t seem to be angry about it.

we have never done intact males, I do not know how they will react.
But my wife has done about 5 introductions and in general they seem to be really happy to have more friends after the first few introduction spats (not fights).
once their feeling out period is done, about 15 minutes they seem to be happy.
and this is after 2 to 4 weeks of scent training.
Research Information
Jan 07 2018
02:58:47 PM
Alright! Thank you. We plan on getting all but Alexander neutered. Just waiting to get another cage for their recovery from that. And also, my boyfriend wants to separate them by gender, is that a good idea or would they prefer it mixed? I haven’t found much on that topic in our glider book.
Research Information
Jan 08 2018
09:05:11 PM
So we introduced sweet dee and Charlie to our boys arsenal and speedy last night! It went amazing! They even decided to all sleep together! Not a single fight! Waiting to introduce them to the rest of the family, since I’m still unsure how they will react to a three legged glider and a partially blind baby. I’ve heard they often reject them. Fingers crossed it will all go well!
Introductions

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion
Introductions