GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Biting glider
Biting glider
Information
Jan 05 2018
04:49:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I bought a sugar glider around 3 weeks ago when he was about 7-8 months old. However, I still can’t bond with him as he is very aggressive.
Aggressive not in a way where he tries to attack, but he’s always biting every single part of my body repeatedly until I move him away. I’ve tried enduring his bites but they really hurt and sometimes causes bleeding. Consequently I’ve only been handling him with gloves. Also, Kobe (my sugar glider lol), never crabs at me and doesn’t seem scared, but just naturally bites literally everything he sees. So how can I change this behavior so I can finally bond with him and play freely without just holding him with gloves. Also, he is always very very hyper and looking to wonder around without ever staying still.
Thank you!!!
Information
Jan 05 2018
09:51:29 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
What I would do...
three weeks and with his background of NOT being bonded is very early to expect so much from many gliders. I would back off, slow it down. it's going to take some time...
stop handling him if he is so scared he is biting you all the time. Get him in a bonding pouch, then carry him with you around house without touching him so much for a few hours a day. give him lots of time to get used to your scent and used to the idea you might not be a predator.
Wash your hands very well with a low scented soap so he isn't trying to eat that he smells on your hand.
If you have a room to play with him in, give him some things to explore and just let him go, he doesn't even need to get on you.
talk to him in the cage, then maybe feed him treats threw the cage so he can't bite you.

It took our mary a long time to figure out what was treat and what was finger.

bonding has taken us 8 weeks to maybe 4 months with some gliders.

I think having a second glider would slow him down make him less hyper but he also needs time to get used to his new home.

Information
Jan 06 2018
02:06:56 AM
Northstar01 Starting Member 1 Posts
I just got my sugar gliders a couple days ago but when I put my hand in there cage to fix something they jump on my hand then they lick me and then bite me is this bc they don’t me yet?
Information
Jan 06 2018
10:53:40 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Northstar01

I just got my sugar gliders a couple days ago but when I put my hand in there cage to fix something they jump on my hand then they lick me and then bite me is this bc they don’t me yet?

many people say this is the "you are the tree" affect.
gliders will bite into a tree, lick up the sap, then bite down again, lick then bite. so they are trying to get sap from you, so I have read.

We have a well bonded glider, gizmo, he will climb to our elbow, do some licking then start to chew down pretty hard. If you let him go, he will keep it up till you start to bleed. He is not doing it over anger or fear, just seems to like the taste of our elbow. We just gentle move him away.

there can also be something on your arm/ hand what tastes good. I would just gently move them away from your arm or try to distract them and see if they stop.
Biting glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Biting glider