Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding with my glider
Bonding with my glider
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 08 2018
07:56:52 PM
So I got my gliders from a family that had them from birth to 8 months old and didn't have the time to handle them. Now I am trying to bond with them and feel like I am getting nowhere. They do come out of their pouch to grab treats from me and will get close to my hand but sometimes they crab just at the sound of my voice when they are in the pouch. I have a sleeping pouch in the cage and was using a bonding pouch for a while but I felt like it was more harm than good trying to get them into the bonding pouch From their other pouch. they refuse to sleep in the bonding pouch during the day for me to easily take them out and carry them without transfer unless that is the only blanket or pouch in the cage.

I have a mesh tent I put them in to play with them so they can climb on the walls and not get lost but I can also sit in it with them and they will climb on me there. However, it takes about 30 minutes for them to warm up enough to come out of their pouch and play. The bathroom didn't have enough stuff to grab onto and they would just hide in the shower curtain. I work nights 3 days a week so I try to sleep with them as much as possible but they probably don't get as much outside the cage play time as they should be.

Any suggestions on how to get them to bond with me?

Oh and forget nail trimming. Not gonna happen right now unless I sedate them. Are their nails going to be okay for the time being or should I be worried about them snagging and losing a toe. I see that problem mentioned quite often but I'm not sure how common that really is. Just another thing for me to pee paranoid about.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 08 2018
08:30:13 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
How long have you had them for? We’ve had 4 babies so far and they are much easier to bond with than adults. Even the ones we are bonded with it still takes them time to come out of the pouches when we get them out so I wouldn’t take that badly. On days you know you’re going to be able to spend time with them in the bonding pouch I’d leave that in the cage as the sleeping option just so you don’t have to stress them trying to get them in it. Ours crab at us a lot when it’s before their normal wake up time or if we surprise them. It does take a while to bond, and with some gliders it takes even longer.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 09 2018
11:12:00 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Jingle...it takes lots of time to bond with some gliders. can depend on how you try to bond, can depend on the gliders personality. So you need to be very patient.
If you have a good roomie cage and good healthy food you are set up for a great beginning. You don't need to be in a hurry to bond.

Cut nailing has ONE key for me. first I need two people, then I need a holding fleece bag (bonding bag will do.) we made one for nail cutting. the hole is to pull a let out with, but I mostly just use the big opening.

So the ONE KEY part. YOU have to take control of the glider!! you can do it without hurting the glider, and his feelings will be fine afterwards!! Pinkie was REALLY GRABBY AND MEAN when we got him, but when i took control and wouldn't let him move, he seemed to calm down and take the cutting just fine. NOT all will do that, some will wiggle and pull.

So you put one glider in the bag, you close the top, give him a chance to relax, some will, then you grab a hold of him, I get finger under and over head so I can stop him from biting. (our bonded gliders will sometimes give a small nip just to let you know they are not happy!) I hold strong enough to stop them from biting me, we do 11 gliders 14 nails 154 cuts. I have NEVER hurt a glider by holding him strong, I pull out a leg, the wife cuts. I either pull out another leg or move him around some and get another strong hold and pull out a leg for the wife to cut. sometimes I get bite but not often.

keep bonding in the tent, BUT get them out of the bag!! lift it upside down and squeeze them gliders out like toothpaste, then sit on the bag so they have to explore. I have some treats available. Let them come to you as much as possible, don't keep pocking your finger in their faces, just put your hand out and let them come sniff your scent. turn out the lights MAKE IT DARK OR DARKER, gliders dont like the light and might not explore if to bright.

Lastly...do NOT worry about the crabbing, its like a dog barking, some gliders crab, some are the bag protector and will crab for the safety of all gliders. we have had scarface awhile now and she will crab if mary starts to crab, mary loves to crab and we have had her awhile.
Connor is our lone glider for now, he come to us SUPER crabber, and lounger and I never gave him a chance to bite me and he didn't, after he relaxes and after many weeks, I started to pet him during treat time, I let him sniff my hand and he has never bit me. I finally got him on my arm to eat a treat and relax a little. but if I talk to him IN POUCH he will give a super crab at me, if I take out pouch and look at him he will crab at me, after I talk to him and he relaxes a little, I slowly get my hand behind his head and pet him, if i move bag to fast he SUPER CRABS again. someday he will slow down and stop, maybe, for now I pet him, he crabs.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 09 2018
11:19:08 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLvUaEUIEUU&index=2&list=PLNDuthIFR8sPX4Vo99uQ0c0Dkj9K7lqFj

see how this guy has control of the glider at the 1:40 minute mark. I do that from inside a pouch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2-wCceM-s&list=PLNDuthIFR8sPX4Vo99uQ0c0Dkj9K7lqFj&index=1

this guy takes control and cuts them nails while glider cant move, pull away or bite.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpzWLLCiuGI&index=3&list=PLNDuthIFR8sPX4Vo99uQ0c0Dkj9K7lqFj

this girl is doing a bonded glider, takes a foot then controls glider to cut. for a unbonded crabby scared glider you must FIRST take control, then find a leg to pull out and cut.
but I find it a ton easier to hold glider, pull leg, hold still, then let someone else make the cut.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 09 2018
04:27:56 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
BYK.. you really make the nail clipping sound easy.

My girls just wiggle so much when I try to cut. I am usually able to do one foot and stop as I thinking I am stressing them out.

PS. the 1st time the vet cut them 1) was crabbing 2) flew and wiggle too much 3) bit her.

My point is that the vet had a hard time as well.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 10 2018
02:32:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ptamom

BYK.. you really make the nail clipping sound easy.

My girls just wiggle so much when I try to cut. I am usually able to do one foot and stop as I thinking I am stressing them out.

PS. the 1st time the vet cut them 1) was crabbing 2) flew and wiggle too much 3) bit her.

My point is that the vet had a hard time as well.

I'm going to have to make a video, its easier with 2 people, and you do have to be careful, but once you TAKE CONTROL most gliders are not to hard to do.

the videos in link I posted show the owner taking control and cutting the nails without to much problems.
Bonding with my glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding with my glider