Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Scruffy fur
Scruffy fur
Health related
Jan 08 2018
09:00:31 PM
So I’ve had gliders for about 3 years now, started with two, they had babies now I have 6, then rescued a pair of gliders a few weeks ago. I noticed the gliders I rescued have really scruffy fur, mine have always kept their fur nice and they never let it get scruffy. But these two just let their fur go wild. I’m wondering if it’s a possible health concern? They’re all the same breed as well. They are active, and I know the female is over grooming her face currently probably due to stress of moving to 3 different places in 6 or so months. They both are eating just fine, everything is normal except their fur. Just want some thoughts on that.
Health related
Jan 10 2018
07:00:16 PM
Wishes Joey Visit Wishes's Photo Album 41 Posts
If it is just the rescues i'd wait to see if their coats improve
I have heard it can take up to a month for diet to improve their coats
What diet are they on?
Do you know what diet the rescues we're on before they were in your care?
Did they have nice coats before that are just getting scruffy now?

It could be a change and humidity that they aren't use to
I'd wait to see if their coat improves and have them vet checked before I put them with the others Just in case they are sick
Health related
Jan 30 2018
05:39:31 AM
hey GLIDERS Glider 70 Posts
Humidity had no bearing on this as I moved to a very humid place and saw no change in coat. There’s plenty of people that agree with this. Really seems to come down to diet and how often you clean the cage
Health related
Jan 30 2018
11:27:59 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I have heard that if joeys are removed from their mom to early they might not learn to groom very well.
We also got 3 gliders with 2 of them not grooming very well at all. the boy had a scrub of matted hair on his backside. looked not groomed at all.
after about 3 months or more they started slowly grooming better, we put them on the OHPW diet.
the previous owner said they smelled and used "baby wipes" to clean them, I was very surprised. what glider would want to lick off baby wipe chemicals?
we cleaned them with very slightly damp paper towels with NO chemicals. We ended up rehoming 2 of them with a friend. I visited them 2 weeks ago after them being away for months. They looked great, they had lost wieght, very active, nice, and fur was just right.
Health related
Jan 30 2018
02:33:29 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
How long have you had them? You might want to keep them away from the others until you've had them checked out by a vet, at least. The scruffiness could be from illness, stress, or bad diet. If they were neglected for a long time it could take them a while to recover. As they start feeling better their coats and grooming habits will probably improve.
Health related
Feb 07 2018
04:53:25 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
Sorry, I haven’t been active on here due to work and all my critters. The vet gave a clean bill of health! Hooray! So I bonded them with a few of our boys from the colony, grooming was the issue, now the fur looks perfect and sooo much healthier!
Health related
Feb 07 2018
04:56:18 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
And to add to my baby girl over grooming, she has stopped and fur is growing back! I’m so proud and happy for both of them, the progress has been amazing and they all bonded so quickly and well. To add to that I rescued another female with the same issues, vet check went great, and she had been overgrooming due to stress as well. She has bonded with the same group as sweet dee and is doing a lot better. I feel like those two ladies were meant to be together. They both help eachother groom and keep eachother happy.
Scruffy fur

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Scruffy fur