Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Found a glider on my front steps, help!
Question
Jan 12 2018
11:56:32 PM
I heard a thump on my front door tonight and one of my cats started freaking out. After a bit of investigation we discovered a sugar glider hanging out in the holiday wreath. We brought him inside and kept him in a cat carrier until we could get a little hamster cage from Walmart(it was 11 at night, not a lot of options...), gave him some apple and water, and are keeping him in a locked room away from the cats.

I would love to reunite him with an owner but I have a bad feeling somebody thought that the first warm day in a few weeks would be a good day for a release. I don't think he was out long, I live in New England and I doubt he could have survived the freezing temps from the last few days.

We're considering all the options(keeping, rehoming, bringing to an animal shelter) but is there anything you recommend we do in the interim? I know the small cage isn't optimal but we made a fleece pouch to hang in it, and are doing our best to keep him comfortable and safe from the cats until we can come up with a permanent solution.

Needless to say, its been kind of a wild few hours...
Question
Jan 13 2018
12:34:57 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
for a few days, water and apples will be fine, give him some large portions.
you could get him cut up pear, buy a bag of frozen peas, and green beans, give him some in a bowl at night time 9pm. a treat of honey on spoon. and if you can you could get some dried mealworms from walmart bird section I buy Kaytee brand.
put 4 or so worms in with peas.
he'll be fine in a small cage for awhile.

gliders can run away easy if not bonded and not kept properly. and you are right the cold would be very bad for him very fast.

if you dont want him, you can list him here, or other glider websites, or craigslist.
Question
Jan 13 2018
02:06:41 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
This glider is very lucky you found him! I felt very emotional reading your post. I lost my first sugar glider back in July (thank goodness it was warm) and I dreamed of someone finding her the way you did. Just in case the owners are looking for him, I would try to locate them. Perhaps posters around the neighborhood or a post on Facebook. If no one comes forward, there are other options to find him a good home. Like BYK said, you could list him here. But I have a hunch that this precious little one just may have chosen you . If you do decide to keep him, there are many households where cats and sugar gliders coexist peacefully, as long as all are kept safe.
Question
Jan 14 2018
04:38:12 PM
Riconlilomommy Joey Visit Riconlilomommy's Photo Album DE, USA 35 Posts
Just curious how is your little surprise doing now? Hope you kept him!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders