GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Re homed joey please help
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 25 2018
09:55:12 PM
Hello,

I just bought a four month old sugar glider from a woman who could no longer keep her. I’m worried about the bonding process, since she is so young and was previously bonded.
She seems really agitated when I have to grab her food bowl or water bottle, she has been with me for three days/two nights.
She still seems scared of her new environment, she has a large cage and many toys and pouches to sleep in.

Any advice on how I can help her get situated and start the bonding process? Any tips or advice are much appreciated!

P.S. this is my first sugar glider ever
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 26 2018
04:11:58 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I would just give her more time to get to know her new surroundings.
then after a week or two.
then I would just try to hand feed her a treat, go in slow and low. then try to keep my hand close if she takes the treat and starts to eat it. Just leave my hand next to her. give her a chance to smell my scent, right after getting the treat.
if she doesn't bite you that is a good sign. if she does bite you then you have work to do.(giving you say she was bonded to her first owner she should NOT bite you hard.)
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 26 2018
02:41:21 PM
Nikki18t Starting Member 2 Posts
Okay thank you (:
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 27 2018
07:08:55 PM
plassieteems1956 Starting Member 1 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Nikki18t

Okay thank you (:

My glider is a year old & he still bites, not hard but he still does it. SO I wanted to ask along with your question if there are gliders that never stop biting?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Feb 07 2018
05:02:21 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
As for biting we have 10 gliders and only 1 bites, I’ve looked online to find ways to stop it and surprisingly treats help a lot. Some cases they are biting you because they think of you as their tree and in the wild they would bite the tree for sap. Though that is mostly just with ones bonded to you. If it’s aggressive biting I’d say to not mess with the baby until they want to come to you, I tamed my hamster by placing treats in my hand and waiting for him to come to me. Different animals but same concept of trust building. As for bonding it depends on the gliders, our first two took almost a month, the female even longer. Their babies were instantly bonded to us, the four we just rescued bonded rather quickly except for one of the females took a little longer to want to leave her pouch during play time. She eventually did though and bonded mostly with just me.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders