GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Strange Noise - Is My Glider Sick???
Health related
Mar 30 2018
06:55:29 PM
Hello All,

My sugar glider, Remix, started making a strange noise last night, and now he continues to make it throughout the day. I know he ate and drank last night, and he has eaten some of his apple today. But he keeps making this weird noise throughout the day and normally he sleeps like a baby. We’ve just been chilling on the couch watching television today so we haven’t done anything out of the ordinary. Here is a link to a YouTube video of him making the noise: Strange Noise

Should I be concerned about this? He’s never made the sound before and I’m worried he’s sick. Other than the noise all else seems to be normal.

Thanks for you help, all!
Health related
Apr 12 2018
06:04:35 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I don't think it's anything to worry about. My glider makes a similar noise (kind of a cross between crabbing and hissing). It's good to be alert to his habits and anything out of the ordinary. Also, making sure he's getting enough to eat and drink. If you're still concerned, you could always schedule a wellness check with your exotic vet to put your mind at ease.
Take care and please keep us posted.
Health related
Apr 12 2018
09:04:32 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
That is hard to say, sounds a little like one I have the hisses at times during pee. If he continues you could think of a visit to the vet ask about a possible urinary tract infection - UTI.

Also sounds like you might want to check out several glider diets.
maybe weight him so you have a base weight, then you can check him again to make sure he is not losing weight. I got a small electric scale for $20 at store.
Health related
Apr 12 2018
09:58:51 PM
BeeHaipi Starting Member 2 Posts
Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the responses! I posted this on a Friday night, so I wasn't able to take him to a vet until Monday morning. This is not a normal sound for him, so I kept a close eye on him, and it turns out that he was constipated.

I fed him a little yogurt and some extra cucumbers, which got him back on track. I still took him to the vet once Monday rolled around, and she said she had no clue why he had been constipated. He showed no signs of a blockage or any sort of problems. I didn't change his routine or any smells in the house or anything like that.

It seems like he just had a bad day - but it just goes to show you that you need to pay attention to all of your glider's noises! I knew this wasn't normal for him, and now that he's better he has not made it since.
Health related
Apr 12 2018
11:23:30 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
So glad he's doing better! And you're absolutely right...pay attention and trust your instincts (better safe than sorry)! Keep up the good work!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders