GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help, something is really wrong! :(
Health related
Apr 01 2018
09:22:02 AM
Hi!
First of all I want to say to everyone happy Easter/ Sunday! Hopefully your day is going better then mine.
Earlier today I was in my room when I noticed that Abel was out of his pouch during the day. Which was unusual. I noticed he seemed, uncoordinated almost? He crawled out of his pouch, and he seemed almost like he was shaking. He’d put his paw/ hand somewhere and then some of pull it away, sort of like he was uncertain of his grip. He made his way down to his wheel and started running. Now, he keeps doing this thing where his head/ body will shake, and he’ll make this noise. Not like sqeaking, not like crabbing or barking, but sort of like low pitched squeaking? Almost like a sneeze? Some kind of liquid/ snot/ mucus/ something is coming out of him too. At first I thought that it was a neurological thing ( because of The uncoordinated-ness) then my mom thought he had something maybe in his airway or something that couldn’t cough up . His face/ cheeks seem swollen, and his breathing seemed.. different then normal. As soon as I noticed something was wrong I went and got my mom. I called my nearest emergency vet but they don’t treat sugar gliders. So, I called another vet clinic and surprisingly, they didn’t say anything about being closed, despite it being Easter. I told them about my sugar glider, and they told me that while they do have a dr. That treats sugar gliders, they don’t come in until 11, which for me is about an hour. So now, I am just waiting for the vet to call me back like they said they would. We have put him in an ‘emergency hospital cage” , which really isn’t ideal, but hopefully it is only temporary. I put a sleeping cube in here, ( I figured that a sleeping cube would be easier for him to go in and out of, with hole on the side instead of the top). He is on top of it now, curled into a ball, breathing heavily. I’m trying to figure out what to do.. I was thinking that I could try peeling up an apple and blending it so that it is sorta like apple sauce, or trying to give him some honey or mango or something easy for him to eat. I’ve tried offering him the water bottle, but he’s shown no interest in that. I’m really worried about him. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I’m just trying to figure out what to do. Also, how can I make his ‘hospital’ more comfortable for him? And I think a video may help, but I’ m not really sure how to put a video on here : /
Health related
Apr 01 2018
10:15:50 AM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Little bit of an update here, we just talked to the vet’s office and we have an appointment for 5:00 tommorow. Until then, I’m thinking I just try checking on him? Should I get a bit of organic gatorade mixed with water, and try giving him that to keep him hydrated? And keeping some food in him?
Health related
Apr 01 2018
10:20:00 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear, and that I just saw this. I know how terrified you feel.

Go ahead and take your suggies to the vets that treats suggies. If they're not in by the time you get there, they should be in soon after. Go to the desk and explain you have called and his is an emergency. If you're not comfortable with this method, call ahead and tell them your situation and that you are coming directly in because it's an emergency.

Sending prayers for you and Abel. Please keep us posted and Happy Easter to you as well, I pray it becomes one.
Health related
Apr 01 2018
10:24:46 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Face swelling is usually a symptom of an abscess, if he's had it for a while the infection may be spreading through the blood stream (septic) causing the other symptoms.

keep him hydrated and warm. if he won't drink on his own, get a needless syringe, or eye dropper and give it to him yourself. keep an eye on him even over night and Have vet check teeth/xray

Clavamox or baytril are usually the 2 antibiotics given for abscess i prefer clavamox

Edited by - Leela on Apr 01 2018 10:26:40 AM
Health related
Apr 01 2018
10:25:58 AM
Okay, so your recent post came in while I was typing mine.

I would call back and tell them that you feel he won't make it to 5 tomorrow, could they please squeeze in an emergency today.

If they still can't, then see if you can get some watermelon chunks from the grocery store. Be careful with Gatorade, it can't be sugar free. Try offering all his favorites fruits right now. Keep him warm, and watch him closely.

Saying prayers for Abel to hang on.
Health related
Apr 01 2018
10:56:19 AM
Thank you for responding! I agree, I have a sneaking suspicion he won’t make it to 5 tommorow, I could try convincing my mom to call them back. The thing is the doctor that treats sugar gliders isn’t even in until that time tommorow. I think that I am going to try to buy some frozen watermelon from the store, and he is * trying* to sleep right now, should I get him and give him some water? I’m preety sure I have some needleless syringes somewhere. Abel really likes corn, should I give him some of that to see if he will eat it? Or will it upset his stomach? Should I periodically give him water/ a bit of food ? ( sort of like how newborn baby animals have to be “periodically “ fed?) or will that hurt him? Should I give him a regular dinner tonight, or just fruit? Right now I’m trying to figure out how I can make his hospital cage nicer for him, and how I can keep him comfy. I made my room light enough that it doesn’t mess them up, but not so bright that the sun hurts his eyes. Sorry for all these questions, I’m just so nervous and I feel so bad. Lately things haven’t been normal, I’ve been way too tired to let them play for the time I normally do. Last year, my opi ( abels brother) died of a sickness, I’m thinking that maybe somehow there is a connection? Anyway, thank you so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it.
Health related
Apr 01 2018
11:09:08 AM
Unfourtanately, I am not able to get watermelon at the moment. But I have some blueberries, apples, and mango, will those fruits work? I’m putting gas a piece of fleece in his pouch, to try and keep him warm, or at least calm. I’m also planning putting a little bit of water in his cage and keeping a very close eye on it, ( it isn’t enough for him to drown in). I’m just trying to make his cage cage less scary for him and keeping an eye on him. Should I mash up the fruits? Mix in some honey to try and get him to eat it?
Health related
Apr 01 2018
01:00:06 PM
Okay, so I put some fruit ( mango and peeled apple) in his cage. He seemed to appreciate it, right now he is eating some mango which I am preety happy about. He seems to be doing okay, he even took a couple sips from the water bottle! Unfortunately right now I don’t have a third water bottle, so I think every now and then I will offer him some water from the water bottle. He has water in his cage, but I’m not sure he will willingly drink from it. I’m preety happy he’s eating. His cheeks still seem a bit swollen, and his breathing seems different, but better then it was before. Also: another thing I think I should mention that probably isn’t connected to this whole situation. You know many sugar gliders have “ buckteeth”? Well, recently I noticed that Abel only has one. So, I’m guessing that it fell out or something?? Anyway, his walking is still unsteady and he still is doing his ‘ sneeze shake’ thing. You know that sound when of sniffing? Well, it sounds like Abel is squeak sniffing. It’s different from his ‘sneeze shake ‘ thing. Well anyway, if you’ve read all of this, thank you for your time, I’ll keep you guys as updated as I can.
Health related
Apr 01 2018
05:13:51 PM
I'm sorry, having company all day. I wanted to pop on and check any news on Abel. I didn't get to read through everything like I want to, but, yes, anything you can get in him that is glider safe will benefit him to some point.

Said prayers for you and Abel, will continue.

I'll try to get back later, but will need to run out when company leaves. Then workday tomorrow. I'll do my best to read and answer any questions that I can. Vet is needed and I realize your fear and frustration. Believe me, I've lost two of my gliders in the past six months. The first I no reconisable symptoms, this recent loss I was able to recongize symptoms and get her to vet.
Health related
Apr 01 2018
08:40:37 PM
Thank you so much for your help! I am happy to report that Abel ate some of his dinner ( he didn’t touch his BML , but to be fair it was still a frozen cube.) I have a feeling that as the night goes on and it starts to get softer, he will lick it. A little bit. I noticed that while he was sleeping, his breathing seemed a bit off, but when he is awake his breathing seems fine. He isn’t ‘sneeze shaking’ as much anymore. Every few hours I plan on checking on him/ offering him water from the bottle, since I don’t have a water bottle for him yet. Tommorow I am going to the store, though, so I will be able to pick up one for him. Especially since I have a feeling he will need to stay in his hospital cage even after goes to the vet. I made his cage a bit nicer with some “home furnishings” if you will. Thank you for your help again and I will keep you guys updated.
Health related
Apr 01 2018
10:06:41 PM
When you go to the pet store, go to the bird section and look for either a water silo or covered cup. JW Clean Cup in small size or the JW water silo, or similar, are great choices.

Glad he is eating.
Health related
Apr 02 2018
05:41:43 AM
Okay, thanks for that. Is there a sepicific reason I should get a water silo instead of a bottle? I’m just worried he won’t drink from it is all. I just checked on him, he is doing good, eating, drinking some water. At this point I’m just waiting for go to the vets. Thanks for all your help!
Health related
Apr 02 2018
11:47:42 AM
If he drinks from a dish, he'll drink from a silo. If you prefer, get the jw clean cup. It's covered so helps prevent soiling.

Silo and cups are safer, more reliable, easier to clean, fill, and as accessable to the gliders.
Health related
Apr 02 2018
05:05:18 PM
Thanks for your help! Unfourtanately I wasn’t able to get him a water silo/ clean cup ( the pet store I went to only had this wierd thing that definitely wasn’t the right thing). I did get a water bottle though, which he drinks out of. For whatever reason he doesn’t like drinking out of dishes ( sugar gliders are wierd, lol). This mornings we noticed that his eye was running a little bit. The good news is that we just recently took him to the vet. They gave us some medicine for him. We’re going to keep him in the hospital cage until he is done with the medicine. Thank you so much for your time and help :)
Health related
Apr 02 2018
06:41:06 PM
You're welcome. I'm glad he made it to the vet and is being treated. Still saying prayers for good recovery.
Health related
Apr 02 2018
07:20:07 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
"The good news is that we just recently took him to the vet" so he didn't go to the vet today ? what meds ?
Health related
Apr 02 2018
08:35:28 PM
Oh sorry yea I was really unclear. We took him to the vet this afternoon ( that was the earliest we were able to get him seen). The vet looked at him, and she gave him antibiotics, probiotics, and eye drops ( his eye was running). The vet seemed very good and knowledgeable about sugar gliders, which I was happy with. I don’t know the full names of the meds, because they all are super long and complicated. Thank you guys again for all your help, I honestly can’t say it enough.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders