Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutered Boy - Is he Self Mutilating?
Health related
May 05 2018
11:52:14 AM
Got my Desmond neutered on Thursday (2 days ago). He seems to be happy, running on his wheel, playing with his toys, and eating his food and snacks just fine, but I can't tell if he's self Mutilating or not. I held him down today to see his incision site and make sure it's okay, because yesterday when we were clipping nails he produced an off-white kind of discharge on the blanket we were securing him with. I read a little that this could just be from fear, he definitely doesn't like his nails being clipped but I've never thought he was scared of the process. When I held him down today, his incision sight seemed to have some of that discharge around it on his fur, and the sight was like a pinkish red color, maybe half the size of a penny. Everytime I check on him, he looks up at me, saying "hey Mom!" So I can't tell if he's going after it before/after bedtime or not.
Today, he also let off a white liquid when I was trying to hold him down and he was squirming away. I'm a bit stuffy so I didn't notice a smell but I've never seen anything but clear liquid come out of my gliders.

I'm not sure what a healthy incision sight a few days later is supposed to look like, so I can't compare, but it doesn't really look like the pictures of the neutered self Mutilating gliders I've seen online. I'll try to get a picture later when my boo comes home - it's hard to hold down a glider and take a picture with only two hands.
Health related
May 05 2018
05:00:15 PM
ChipandDalesMom Joey Visit ChipandDalesMom's Photo Album 32 Posts
My boys Chip and Dale were neutered (laser, poms off) 3 weeks ago. Chip woke up at the vets while coming out of anesthesia and immediately began chewing at the site so they put him back under, added more glue and bitter green apple spray. He didn't touch it again except to lick around it. Dale on the other hand didn't touch his site at the vets at all. It looked red and pretty angry for the first couple days and he kept grooming the area. I swear I didn't sleep at all those 1st few nights! When I did check his incision site it always looked wet so I took a q-tip and dabbed it to see if he was bleeding. Turns out it was just shiny. The exotic vet I have does a couple glider neutres a week and sees gliders on a daily basis. I was told no wheel for 48 hrs and no out of tent time for at least 7 days so they wouldn't stress their incision site. Honestly Chip has a very small red spot now and Dale's is still a big pink spot (about the size of a blueberry) but they are both healed very well. My theory is to call the vet when in doubt. The discharge sounds weird but if he was self mutilating I've been told he would crab a lot because it would hurt. My guys don't crab hardly at all so that would've been a good indication for me. I was most surprised that they didn't pick at each other's incision though.

Your angst is normal! They are our babies after all and we are responsible for them! I look at it like if they were actually a human baby would I be concerned or not. That's how I gauged them after surgery. As I have heard over and over that sometimes by the time we notice they are sick it is way worse than we originally thought because they hide it so well though. If it's infected it may just be a simple prescription for antibiotics. Good luck !
Health related
May 06 2018
05:39:25 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
an incision site which is swollen with a white discarge evocates an infection rather than self-mutilation.
It would be a good idea to keep an eye on it, and call the vet for his opinion. Did the vet give an antibiotic course?
Health related
May 06 2018
04:25:02 PM
Thesugarbeatles Joey Visit Thesugarbeatles's Photo Album Thesugarbeatles's Journal USA 16 Posts
No, he didn't say anything other than keep an eye on him for the next couple days, and not to let him with the others for a while. He has been playing pretty regularly, so maybe it's related to that. I'll give them a call.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders