GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Essential Oils (Peppermint)
Health related
May 22 2018
12:51:55 AM
Hey everyone!

I've read a lot of posts on here about certain essential oils to use and not to use with gliders. However, none of them mention peppermint. I have a pod that I've stuck above their cage (out of reach) and am wondering if this is an ok oil to use. I'm not cleaning with it, but just trying to help the smell of my room. Any thoughts?
Health related
May 22 2018
02:08:08 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
I wouldn't put it too close to their cage, since they're sensitive to smells, and make sure it's out of their reach. Is it a little unltrasonic diffuser or what?
Health related
May 22 2018
08:48:05 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
mint is toxic to gliders, essential oils are 25 times ( or higher ) stronger than the plants natural strength.
Health related
May 22 2018
11:48:13 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Leela.. mint is not by default toxic to gliders, catnip and catmint are the only 2 which are.
That being said, essential oils are concentrate (when they are real essential oil, most of the things sold in north america under that name are in fact perfume extracts, which is not the same thing) and even for human, it is not advised to be in physical contact with pure oil, so I guess you would not want to take any risk of contact.
I do use both mint, teatree and eucalyptus oils without issues, but only a few drops a day in the air purifier, never more
Health related
May 24 2018
10:54:17 PM
Glide-or-die Starting Member 3 Posts
Ok, they seem to be fine. Its just a few drops in a diffuser. Thanks everyone!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders