Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Not coming out of pouch to eat
Health related
May 22 2018
09:59:47 AM
I am watching my sister's Sugar gliders for her. They have been here for 1 week so far. Last night they didn't come out of their pouch to eat. I tried poking the pouch to coax them out but only got one to rise a little to chatter at me. The other did not move. I am very worried that I have somehow harmed my sister's beloved pets. Her feeding instructions were very brief and thru third person since they were dropped off in a rush and it is hard to communicate with her. She left a bag that contains "glider-chow" and that brands system, along with some apples, half a cucumber, and a little baggie of baby carrots. The first few nights I just filled their bowl with the kibble and diced up a slice of apple, cucumber, and 1 carrot, then topped that with the a couple treats from the "glider-chow" brand. Then two nights ago I was doing some research because I haven't been using the "gravy" and it says on the bag that it's essential. There isn't enough to mix up the months supply as the instructions suggest. I was trying to find a nightly dosage and other things to feed them since the cucumber was nearly gone as are the carrots. I found that it is a 2:1 ratio so I mixed 1tsp of water with 1/2 tsp of gravy mix and a little bit of kibble and fed along with the rest of the cucumber, one carrot, and a slice of apple tossed in the vitamin powder that I also hadn't been using before and placed some treats around the cage. That night they were active and ate everything. Then yesterDAY, I offered some boiled egg yolk around the cage and some was eaten-i didn't see which critter or both. Then for last night's feeding I did the same gravy/kibble mix and 2 slices of apple, and the last carrot-without the vitamin powder, and a little more egg yolk.
I checked on them in the night because I didn't hear them jumping around as usual. They were quiet in the pouch. The earlier egg yolk was tossed about and one apple slice was  taken out of the Tupperware but not eaten. I'm not sure if they lapped up the gravy or if it just soaked into the kibble but the bowl is still full. They are not friendly towards me and I've heard that at least one isn't even to my sister. One is pretty fat and the other seams normal weight. I'm not sure which one wasn't wiggling last night as the other didn't come all the way out. They are male and female but they are castrated so not mating.
Health related
May 22 2018
11:13:40 AM
flufftrio Starting Member 7 Posts
Well, in terms of not coming out of the pouch for you, or being quiet in the middle of the night, I wouldn't worry. For one thing they could be scared around you as you're a new person who smells different to them. For another, gliders aren't usually active the WHOLE night. Mine wake up, play, go back to sleep, repeat--so sometimes in the middle of the night they'll be napping. So long as the food gets eaten by morning, it's okay. And that first one night of not eating could be anxiety about being in a new place with new smells.

As for the diet itself, I've heard bad stuff about glider chow not being good for them. I make the pet glider exotic diet (www.thepetglider.com/pages/the-glider-nutrition-system#recipe) which I like and my vet has said is good, though just one of many options. HOWEVER, when it comes to choosing a diet that's up to your sister, not you. You could say something to her if you want but you don't need to worry you did something wrong as a pet sitter, because it's what she gave you.

Other easy snacks, if you want to try giving them stuff to eat: unsweetened plain applesauce, whole plain yogurt (both of these in moderation as the gliders might eat just that and ignore their veggies haha), berries, green beans... other good veggies and fruits are listed in the diet I linked to.

Good luck!!
Health related
May 22 2018
11:18:27 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Don't feed them the vitamin powder!!!!!
that can wait till your sister comes back, its also a terrible feeding method.
did you give them enough?? did you give them to little?? are they eating it or eating around it?? glider gravy has the vitamins they need.

You can cheaply buy more carrots, cucumber and apples from a local store, organic if you prefer. cost you about $4 for large bag of gala apples, the gala version is listed as preferred on the list I have from critterlove.

Sounds like you mixed the glider gravy correct. BUT PUT THIS IN A SEPARATE bowl all by itself, this way you can see if they eat it. it is also the MOST IMPORTANT FOOD as it has the most calcium and other stuff for them. the "glider chow" is fine to leave in cage for about 3 days, but ours eat very little of it.

I think you should buy a frozen bag of mixed vegetables, got the carrots, green beans, corn in it, give them a small amount of this, but if it is new to them its very likely they will NOT eat it for weeks or months at first. but the option for them is good. small bag $1.00 about, large bag $2.39

Put your hand on OUTSIDE of sleeping pouch, LET THEM CRAB, feel for them moving around, if they move around then you are probably fine, if deep sleeping they or one may take awhile to move around, you may have to move them alittle to wake them, do this once then leave them alone.
At night have it very dark, so they will come out of sleeping pouch, if its to light they may want to stay in pouch.
Health related
May 22 2018
01:01:45 PM
Glidersitter Starting Member 2 Posts
Thanks for calming me a bit. The egg yolk is ok then? I was worried I made them sick with it. I'm not sure if they have had it before. By my guesstimation I think they are about a year old. I have not been able to communicate with my sister yet, and I don't want to add more stress for her right now anyway. They may be here for just a couple more weeks, or it might be months, hard to determine right now. They are in a very large parrot cage. I was worried because the all the other nights here they have trashed their cage, ate their food, and been quite noisy.
I just massaged them out of the pouch a little to make sure they were both -alive at least. They were both alert and actually quite docile for once, but the male's nose is red and looks inflamed. It sounds like he is sniffling a little too. I hadn't noticed it before so I don't know how long he's been like that.
(I don't know what "crab" means)
I have plenty of other fruits and veggies (especially apples) but wasn't sure what is safe for them. Grapes? Greens? (Spinach, kale, lettuce, arugela) cauliflower? It's not much of a problem to get them other things as well.
Why not the vitamin powder? On the bottle it says put a pinch on the apple every other night.
Health related
May 22 2018
01:44:11 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I don't feed mine egg, but I have heard others do after cooking it, mine get vitamins from OHPW or same as glider gravy just NOT instant, OHPW has 3 microwaved scrabbled eggs per litre.

Why not the vitamin powder?
I feed mine OHPW, non instant glider gravy, this has the calcium, protein for them in it, they eat most of it. I add fruits and veggies as listed on the critterlove website for a balance diet. AGAIN vitamin powder is very inconsistent, to much, to little? do they eat it or eat around it? I would give them the glider gravy or buy more from critterlove.com, they have the instant version also. If you really feel like giving them the vitamin powder I would just give them the mininum.

the gliders may have been more active in a new place with new smells, now that its been a few days they could be less stress. Ours also are in and out of pouch all night, usually 9-10 pm come out to eat, then in and out of pouch, then 6am one more run around the cage before bed at 7am.

many of our gliders have a reddish nose. I'm not sure if its a problem or not.

glider foods
critterlove.com fruits and veggies listed.
www.sugar-gliders.com/glidervet-60.htm bottom of page large list of foods with ratio's listed. high phosphates are BAD. so corn is feed at only a MINIMUM amount.

CRABBING
gliders MAIN source of defense is to crab, its a noise they make when scared or trying to scare away an unwanted thing outside the pouch. If they see the thing is not a threat, they will stop crabbing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt8uLejOuaQ

they can also bite with 2 very sharp and long teeth in front.
Health related
May 22 2018
04:11:23 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Sorry if you answered this already....do they have water to drink?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders