GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New owner (me) with a lot of questions that worry me
Question
May 22 2018
09:44:58 PM
*SOB STORY SKIP IF YOU JUST WANT TO HELP ME ANSWER MY QUESTIONS*

I really need a pet guys. I am allergic to almost every animal with fur, and that includes rabbits, hamsters, dogs, cats, the whole bunch. Dogs and cats that are near hypoallergenic also are too big for my small home, so they're a no go. I break out in hives, my asthma kicks in, my eyes get all itchy and I feel like garbage. I'm really lonely and live with only my mom who is usually not home, and it feels like I'm depressed but I'm not when I'm with friends.

So on to my worries and questions. First regards diet.
1. Are pellet foods (specifically made for gliders such as Glide-R-Chow , Happy Glider, things like that) good for a PRIMARY diet?
I'm worried that my culinary skills (terrible) are not able to do a TPG diet and I'll horribly mess up and end up getting my suggie sick or something.

2. Where would you guys recommend to NOT put a cage? Barking at night would probably disrupt my parents, it doesn't bother me but I'm afraid if I put a cage in my bathroom or closet and close the door it'll end up badly.

3. I'm going into high school, so my question is for any person that has a normal life outside of sugar glider care, if it's possible to care for your sugar glider, have school and homework (or work), and still have spare time to do hobbies and things that you enjoy.

4. How hard is cleaning? Is it like doing the full laundry or more like do a quick wipedown?

I may add on to this if I remember something else, but I have a breeder here in my home city and they can supply everything. I'm really wanting something to keep me company.
Question
May 22 2018
10:23:41 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I'm really wanting something to keep me company.

Gliders sleep ALL DAY LONG, they will be very little company to you, other then sleeping in a pouch or your shirt. gliders are good company from 10pm to 6am.

1. pellet food. glide r chow is happy glider, just renamed for Pocket pets.
THESE pellets are fine for gliders, healthy and good for their teeth. They are best as a side dish, you keep them frozen then put some in cage every 3 days or so. throw away after about 3 days. these are NOT a great only diet.

2. dont put the cage in a drafty area, you dont want cold air blowing into the cage area. your bedroom is fine if you can take a small amount of noise. put them in closet and leave the door open? you dont want cage in direct sunlight, a small amount is ok, but if they come out during the day for something some shade would be nice.

3. cleaning isn't a big deal, clean out bottom of cage, then clean parts of cage once in awhile. take out pouches and toys and wheel, clean them off and put back into cage.
BUT food!! is the bigger issue, they need a good diet, you need to buy and make the food then have it ready EVERY NIGHT. PLUS giving the glider some variety in the cage and his life is good, different cage toys, setups, to keep it interesting for them, also 2 hours of out of cage time at night is great so they can run around. this requires a glider safe environment, tent, room, bathroom.

gliders live 10 to 12 years, who is going to take care of them if you go to college?

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on May 22 2018 10:26:39 PM
Question
May 22 2018
10:27:11 PM
Wynos Starting Member 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

I'm really wanting something to keep me company.

Gliders sleep ALL DAY LONG, they will be very little company to you, other then sleeping in a pouch or your shirt. gliders are good company from 10pm to 6am.

1. pellet food. glide r chow is happy glider, just renamed for Pocket pets.
THESE pellets are fine for gliders, healthy and good for their teeth. They are best as a side dish, you keep them frozen then put some in cage every 3 days or so. throw away after about 3 days. these are NOT a great only diet.

2. dont put the cage in a drafty area, you dont want cold air blowing into the cage area. your bedroom is fine if you can take a small amount of noise. put them in closet and leave the door open? you dont want cage in direct sunlight, a small amount is ok, but if they come out during the day for something some shade would be nice.

3. cleaning isn't a big deal, clean out bottom of cage, then clean parts of cage once in awhile. take out pouches and toys and wheel, clean them off and put back into cage.
BUT food!! is the bigger issue, they need a good diet, you need to buy and make the food then have it ready EVERY NIGHT. PLUS giving the glider some variety in the cage and his life is good, different cage toys, setups, to keep it interesting for them, also 2 hours of out of cage time at night is great so they can run around. this requires a glider safe environment, tent, room, bathroom.

Thanks for the fast reply. The thing is with the direction I'm headed in it's likely I'm gonna impulse buy and not be able to care for them.
Regarding diet, what about Critter love? Would that be okay for a primary diet (along with basics like occasional fruits, vegetables, perhaps proteins)
Also not exactly keeping me company, but I need a PURPOSE. All I do now is occasional homework, Netflix, video games, and stressing out about things. I really have nothing to do.

Edited by - Wynos on May 22 2018 10:30:27 PM
Question
May 23 2018
05:27:46 PM
alicat32 Starting Member 4 Posts
I am sorry if I am being a downer here, but getting a high maintenance pet is a big responsibility, and shouldn't be taken lightly. Please do a lot of research before you buy. Getting sugar gliders shouldn't be the answer to a problem. Like BYK Chainsaw said, they are a very lengthy commitment, and it is always sad to hear stories of people not having time for their babies anymore. There are many other things you can occupy yourself with if you are having trouble. Constructive hobbies, exercise, high school sports teams and clubs, volunteering, etc.

I simply urge you to research them, think about it carefully, and if you do go through with it, be prepared to spend time with them and their care each and every day.

Good Luck!
Question
May 23 2018
05:44:35 PM
Wynos Starting Member 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by alicat32

I am sorry if I am being a downer here, but getting a high maintenance pet is a big responsibility, and shouldn't be taken lightly. Please do a lot of research before you buy. Getting sugar gliders shouldn't be the answer to a problem. Like BYK Chainsaw said, they are a very lengthy commitment, and it is always sad to hear stories of people not having time for their babies anymore. There are many other things you can occupy yourself with if you are having trouble. Constructive hobbies, exercise, high school sports teams and clubs, volunteering, etc.

I simply urge you to research them, think about it carefully, and if you do go through with it, be prepared to spend time with them and their care each and every day.

Good Luck!

I can take that into account. My district recently passed a policy that revoked mandatory homework so that's around 2 more hours of extra time for me.
I'm aware of the time that it takes to care for a sugar glider, and I honestly have nothing better to do and would be happy to spend 2 hours of my day bonding or playing with my glider, because I have literally sat here at my desk doing nothing for the past 2 hours anyways, and that usually never changes. The food part is the only thing I'm really worried about at this point, and a play area, because of my own house issues and the fact that I don't want to accidentally poison my suggie
Question
May 24 2018
03:10:27 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Wynos

*SOB STORY SKIP IF YOU JUST WANT TO HELP ME ANSWER MY QUESTIONS*

I really need a pet guys. I am allergic to almost every animal with fur, and that includes rabbits, hamsters, dogs, cats, the whole bunch. Dogs and cats that are near hypoallergenic also are too big for my small home, so they're a no go. I break out in hives, my asthma kicks in, my eyes get all itchy and I feel like garbage. I'm really lonely and live with only my mom who is usually not home, and it feels like I'm depressed but I'm not when I'm with friends.

People can be allergic to sugar gliders too. What makes you think you are not? If you search the forum there are people who've had to give up their gliders for the same symptoms you just listed.

Getting a pet will not solve your emotional issues. It might help you feel less lonely but it won't fix your problems. If you're depressed you should see a doctor, not make an impulse buy.

Sugar gliders can take months or even years to bond to their humans. So you may end up with a pet that doesn't like you. It may bite you and flee in terror from you every time you go near it. Are you prepared to deal with that, and to be patient and compassionate towards it? Are you prepared to try to see things from the glider's POV, where a giant creature has taken it from its family and friends and keeps grabbing it, and adjust your interactions until the glider is comfortable? If it gets lonely the glider may start to chew on itself until it dies. Would you be ready to take that loss?

Also keep in mind that you should get TWO sugar gliders, because keeping a single can make it very depressed and lonely, leading to the chewing itself to death.

So on to my worries and questions. First regards diet.
1. Are pellet foods (specifically made for gliders such as Glide-R-Chow , Happy Glider, things like that) good for a PRIMARY diet?
I'm worried that my culinary skills (terrible) are not able to do a TPG diet and I'll horribly mess up and end up getting my suggie sick or something.

No. Sugar gliders cannot be kept on a pellet only diet. They need a fresh diet and if you cannot provide an animal the proper diet you should not own it. Feeding it a pellet only diet will definitely make it sick. Making fresh diets like TPG isn't that hard.

2. Where would you guys recommend to NOT put a cage? Barking at night would probably disrupt my parents, it doesn't bother me but I'm afraid if I put a cage in my bathroom or closet and close the door it'll end up badly.

I thought you said you live with your mother only?

3. I'm going into high school, so my question is for any person that has a normal life outside of sugar glider care, if it's possible to care for your sugar glider, have school and homework (or work), and still have spare time to do hobbies and things that you enjoy.

Depends on how much you do. Sugar gliders are nocturnal so you'd need to dedicate some time late at night or early in the morning to play and socialize with them while still finding time to sleep.

4. How hard is cleaning? Is it like doing the full laundry or more like do a quick wipedown?

I may add on to this if I remember something else, but I have a breeder here in my home city and they can supply everything. I'm really wanting something to keep me company.

I don't know that a sugar glider is going to be the companion you're looking for. There's no guarantee a glider will bond with you, they're unpredictable and if you've never had animals I would definitely not recommend getting them.

Question
May 24 2018
04:46:50 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
They are a lot of work. Like having kids. Critter Love is a great staple diet. I use it. But there is no "occasional fruits/veggies". They need this every night and not random pickings and choosings of fruit and veggies. Critter Love, whether it be Plus or Complete requires one of 5 salads every night and you make the in the proportions the recipe calls for(in grams, etc).

I use Happy Glider as their pellet food. They don't get a lot. It's mean as a side dish along with their Critter Love and salads. Everynight they get CL, salads, fresh spring water, and fresh pellets. In the morning I take out the CL and salads and just leave the pellets and water, then rinse repeat every night/morning.

Don't put the cage in someplace overly bright or has the sun directly on it. Don't put it in the closet because they need air circulation. And I wouldn't in the bathroom either. We live in an apartment and have our glider cages in the dining room area. We wanted them to have their own space, so that's what the dining room area is for. We eat in the living room. :)

Gliders are work. They're not like a hamster, gerbil, etc. They need daily attention and you can't skimp on the fresh batch of food every night and cleaning it up in the morning. They're more like dogs or human kids.

Cleaning.. Hmm. Every morning I clean their food and dishes, at night I clean their water dishes. In the morning I also clean their litter tray and wipe them down. You can also wipe the inside of the cage too. Especially the bottom grate because it will get sticky with food, pee, etc. Every 3 weeks or so the cages and toys get a full cleaning. I use water/vinegar but next cleaning this weekend I'm using water/vinegar and dish detergent.

Gliders are amazing pets. But they're not easy to take care of if you don't want someone more or less running your life. :-) They run mine, but I'm fine with that, because I love them and they're like my kids and I know I have a responsibility to them.
Question
Jun 09 2018
04:24:46 PM
Aspeakma Starting Member USA 7 Posts
If you feel that your house is unsafe for a glider, you can buy a pop up tent. Also be aware that gliders will pee and poop on EVERYTHING, including you. They also do cost money to have- cage, toys, food, more toys, vet visits. So make sure you are able to pay for vet visits, even just for checkups.

Gliders don't take much more work than any other pet, imo, besides fresh food every night. I got my glider during my first year of college, and was still able to do homework and such because they're only up at night, and I tend to stay up later anyways.

As someone else said, if you're allergic to most furry animals, you'll most likely be allergic to gliders. You could consider getting a reptile instead such as a turtle, tortoise, skink, lizard, etc, instead.

Good luck.
Question
Jun 09 2018
10:14:18 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Aspeakma

If you feel that your house is unsafe for a glider, you can buy a pop up tent. Also be aware that gliders will pee and poop on EVERYTHING, including you. They also do cost money to have- cage, toys, food, more toys, vet visits. So make sure you are able to pay for vet visits, even just for checkups.

Gliders don't take much more work than any other pet, imo, besides fresh food every night. I got my glider during my first year of college, and was still able to do homework and such because they're only up at night, and I tend to stay up later anyways.

As someone else said, if you're allergic to most furry animals, you'll most likely be allergic to gliders. You could consider getting a reptile instead such as a turtle, tortoise, skink, lizard, etc, instead.

Good luck.

I didn't mention reptiles since they do tend to have longer lifespans, but they can actually be very affectionate. They will chill on your shoulder or some will even snuggle and enjoy petting, I know bearded dragons are known for being very loving, but my leopard geckos love to interact with me as well, and when I had an iguana back in the day he would climb up my arm and lick my cheek! So definitely they are a good pet to consider. They are also a lot cleaner and quieter than gliders.
Question
Jun 09 2018
10:27:09 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
The others gave you expert advice.

I am addressing the subject of asthma. I was born with asthma and despite my numerous attempts throughout the years, cannot have "normal" pets as others do. I stick with reptiles (bearded dragons/chinese water dragon) and a year ago, took the chance on sugar gliders. My asthma is fine with these animals.

I would say bearded dragons are the cheapest and easiest to care for; just do your reseach and make sure that you have set up their environment properly. Water dragons definitely need the right atmosphere (humidity, calcium). My lady dragon appears to be sick but is hanging on.

I love my gliders but do not think that they are the appropriate animals for a high schooler who may be going to college soon. College is a time for an individual to spread their wings and discover themselves which means that any animal may not get the attention they require.

Please think carefully before buying gliders. Getting the right set up, toys, food, attention can be costly.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders