Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires
Buying bulk meal worms
Buying bulk meal worms
Food, Diet
avatar
Jun 12 2018
09:06:39 PM
I was wondering if any sugar parents have bought meal worms online? I'm wanting to buy in bulk but I'm scared that they won't be safe. Any suggestions much appreciated!
Food, Diet
avatar
Jun 13 2018
06:34:17 PM
Ballistic_Glider Joey 26 Posts
Are you getting live worms? I bought a decent size of the dried ones for very cheap. I've personally never bought live meal worms (I'm a sissy - heck no I'm not touching those! Let alone letting them stay in my fridge! ) I'd be careful to buy from a trusted site or from a sugar glider site because those ones will not be like PetSmart ones.
Food, Diet
avatar
Jun 13 2018
11:31:16 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1171 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Cupcake112

I was wondering if any sugar parents have bought meal worms online? I'm wanting to buy in bulk but I'm scared that they won't be safe. Any suggestions much appreciated!



Even mealworms in the frig seem to turn black and are bad in a few weeks, so unless you have a large number of gliders, LIVE mealworms in bulk will just go bad, In my experience. I would just suggest getting 100 from the pet store for about $5. OR getting dried mealworms from pet store or walmart, freeze dried are cheap and last a LONG time. I have only one glider that will not eat dried mealworms, most really like them.
Food, Diet
avatar
Jun 14 2018
01:15:04 AM
Cupcake112 Starting Member Visit Cupcake112's Photo Album 4 Posts
I've got 3 sugar gliders who eat about 6 each a day (maybe that's to much) they refuse to eat freezer dried. I'm not near any stores that sell for a decent price
Food, Diet
avatar
Jun 14 2018
09:40:20 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1171 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Cupcake112

I've got 3 sugar gliders who eat about 6 each a day (maybe that's to much) they refuse to eat freezer dried. I'm not near any stores that sell for a decent price



You can also get yogurt drops from exotic nutrition, they last awhile and our gliders also love them. (I have notice sometimes it takes a glider awhile to try some of the treats, but if you are a little pushing they will try it, with live or dried mealworms or yogurt drops our glider finally try them and like them.)
exotic nutrition is not a great place for good glider food, but I had trouble finding bulk yogurt drops, and can you really mess up with yogurt drops?, so everything has been fine with my glider and the drops.
I get timberline mealworms from local pet stores. NEVER had a problem with them, I see you can order online from them but right now it shows ALL out of stock on everything mealworm. Don't know if temp. or permanent on direct orders, but at 9.59 for 500 that is right price. just out of stock.

It 6 mealworms a day, I would weight them on a $20 walmart scale once in awhile, if they get over 160 grams, they can do without the mealworms for awhile.

I would also put a few dried mealworms at bottom of cage, but a few fresh ones every night, see if any get eaten, if they try them, I think they will like them. that would make it alot easier on you. if after a few MONTHS they still don't touch the dried ones, then you got some picky gliders.
Food, Diet
avatar
Jun 17 2018
02:52:12 PM
Ballistic_Glider Joey 26 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

quote:
Originally posted by Cupcake112

I was wondering if any sugar parents have bought meal worms online? I'm wanting to buy in bulk but I'm scared that they won't be safe. Any suggestions much appreciated!



Even mealworms in the frig seem to turn black and are bad in a few weeks, so unless you have a large number of gliders, LIVE mealworms in bulk will just go bad, In my experience. I would just suggest getting 100 from the pet store for about $5. OR getting dried mealworms from pet store or walmart, freeze dried are cheap and last a LONG time. I have only one glider that will not eat dried mealworms, most really like them.



Forgive me if I'm wrong but, don't pet stores like Petsmart have mealworms with something like high phosphorous which is bad for gliders? You've been doing this way longer than me but I feel like I heard somewhere it wasn't healthy.
Food, Diet
avatar
Jun 17 2018
11:52:25 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1171 Posts
I have heard mealworms are high in fat and protein. but nothing about
phosphorus.

checked on reptile website and they said mealworm ratio is .33 to 1. so is
low in calcium.
www.lllreptile.com/articles/134-feeding-insectivorous-reptiles/
With its high fat content I only feed our gliders a few mealworm over several days. the HPW diet contains a good amount of calcium.
corn is also very low calcium and high phosphorous, but is fed in OHPW diet. I think you need to look at the overall ratio in the total diet.
Food, Diet
avatar
Jun 20 2018
09:40:03 AM
Ballistic_Glider Joey 26 Posts
I knew mealworms were high in fat and protein but thank you for telling me that there is no high levels of phosphorus. I was concerned to go and get live ones.
 Look what I found on Ebay
Buying bulk meal worms

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires
Buying bulk meal worms