Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Clipping nails
Clipping nails
Question
Jun 13 2018
04:02:03 PM
I'm absolutely terrified of clipping my first gliders nails. I don't want tocut them to short and then bleed out or get an infection. I could really use some tips. I've seen how they handle them to get them to clip their nails but my suggies arnt fans of being held and squirm. I dont want to hurt them. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Question
Jun 13 2018
04:37:42 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unique-Bargains-Side-Slant-Edge-Manicure-Tool-Finger-Toe-Nail-Clipper-Cutter-Scissor-Trimmer-6cm/179519146

most drugstores, walmart, even grocery stores should have side slanted clippers. Ebay has them cheaper but ship from hongkong so it takes longer.

Gliders will not bleed out, even if you cut all their nails to short. The bleeding stops very quickly and while not pleasant for the glider, it's usually more traumatizing to the human. The only time I cut to close I cried over it for 2 days n my glider never fussed at all.

In fact, they don't even bleed enough to get enough blood to run a blood test from what I've been told. They will bleed a drop or two, but you can can dab cornstarch or all purpose baking flour on the nail to stop it quicker.

You don't have to be able to hold the gliders to trim nails, Just gotta hold a foot.

do it where there is good lighting, or get a LED light you don't have to hold.

If you can't see the quick, get some reading glasses or magnifying glasses.

Be calm. Be confident.

Question
Jun 14 2018
01:16:31 AM
Cupcake112 Starting Member Visit Cupcake112's Photo Album 4 Posts
Thank you so much!
Question
Jun 18 2018
06:38:37 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Cupcake112

I'm absolutely terrified of clipping my first gliders nails. I don't want tocut them to short and then bleed out or get an infection. I could really use some tips. I've seen how they handle them to get them to clip their nails but my suggies arnt fans of being held and squirm. I dont want to hurt them. Any advise would be much appreciated.

I find that cuticle trimmers work really well. The ones that are shaped like slanted tweezers but are sharp for cutting cuticles. You have a lot more precision and can see what you're doing a lot better than with nail clippers. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8H6FJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_OhekBbB11RB8Z ones shaped like these.

Gliders have clear nails so you can see the quick and avoid it pretty well.

Edited by - Scoria on Jun 18 2018 06:40:26 PM
Clipping nails

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Clipping nails