Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
is this a good diet?
is this a good diet?
Question
Jun 18 2018
11:25:52 PM
So I don't have a sugar glider but am planning on getting one. I have been reading through about diets and was wondering if this diet would work well (it's alot like the kazkos diet).
25% protein:
would be whatever meat I was eating that night, or I would have boiled eggs premade for occasions when I wasn't eating meat.
50% fruits/vegetables:
Would be close to 25%/25%. For fruits I would probably do mostly apples, bananas, and blueberries
veggies would probably be pea pods, green beans, peppers, carrots, lettuce, and broccoli
then 25% of either honey water, nectar, or applesauce. and sometimes a couple cheerios
(and of course some treats every once in a while)
Question
Jun 19 2018
11:00:26 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Why did you settle on this particular method of feeding?

Personally I would not feed this way, and I really don't know a lot of people that do either. At one time this method of feeding was done more often, but now there are more options that I feel are better and provide more nutritionally than this free feeding method.

Your better off going with a more widely used diet like critter love or bml where the protein, calcium, vitamins fruits n veg etc are all included in the recipe and the meal is entirely laid out for you.

If you don't live in the US there may be other diets used that are comparable to our diets here if the ingredients are unavailable to you. I know in the Uk they use a different diet than we do here simply because the ingredients availability.

the percentage way to me is like free feeding, which seems simple but is actually more complicated. It's to much to figure out on a daily basis and isn't going to provide everything needed that a widely used diet will.

There are some things I cook for myself that the gliders get occasionally but there is a lot of things I eat that the gliders should NOT eat Like pork, cow, or shouldn't eat often like seafood. For gliders we try to feed lean meats ( chicken, turkey )

Pre planning what you are going to free feed without having gliders....
Before you can do that you need to understand the basics of glider food/diets and what gliders eat and what they don't typically eat well as well as what they shouldn't be fed or should be fed in moderation.

For example, bananas are on your list, most gliders won't touch a banana. Broccoli most won't touch it either and if they do like it it should only be fed in moderation as it does cause gas in gliders as it does in humans. Lettuce has very little nutritional value. MOST gliders love avocado but it shouldn't be fed often as it is very high in fat.

There are a few benefits to diets like bml and critter love. They provide everything that we currently believe gliders need nutritionally. They are easy to prepare. They take the guess work out of what to feed. The diets are specific, and consistent, and those two diets have been tested. They don't include foods unhealthy or unsafe to gliders.

For new owners that have limited knowledge of what foods are safe for gliders and which are not, free feeding can be dangerous, as well as not provide everything the glider is thought to need nutritionally at this time.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 19 2018 11:25:05 AM
is this a good diet?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
is this a good diet?