Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Younger Joey intro to pregnant mother
Question
Apr 21 2019
09:24:45 AM
Hi everyone, we're new to the forum but not as new to gliders. I had a question regarding a younger (10wk old) Joey being introduced to a pregnant mother.

We rehomed/adopted our first and she was 8 wks and then adopted her a cagemate. However it wasn't until they're vet check that we were told the older female was pregnant.

So we've done the toys/pouch swapping, they cage next to each other, intros have been done. Everything went very smoothly and they seem to enjoy each other alot.

My only concern is has anyone heard of experienced a younger Joey causing any accidental harm to the unpouched Joey's?
Would the younger ever try to nurse the pregnant mom and cause accidental harm?

Edited by - JazEmber on Apr 21 2019 09:38:09 AM
Question
Apr 23 2019
01:11:21 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
no the 10 week old won't try to nurse, by that age they are weened and their head will no longer fit in the pouch. They start to be weened as early as 4 weeks out of pouch and are still nursing up until 7-8 weeks or until their head no longer fits.

The 10 week old shouldddddddddd ~ being that she is so young, act as an older sibling/babysitter and help the mom and give her breaks from the new joey once he/she comes out of pouch especially if the dad is not present to help raise them.

However, you'll want to monitor them closely and see how the 10 week is towards the new joey just to be on the safe side.

On one hand mom could use the help if she is single on the other there is a slight risk something could happen with the new joey... no one can say for certain if they will have any issues or not.

It's kind of a tricky situation in my opinion since I don't know the individual gliders. You could wait to introduce them till the new joey is of a safer age but that means moms on her own to raise it... which maybe more stressful on her especially if it's her first. Wish I could help more but really it's a decision only you can make.

Question
Apr 23 2019
01:26:13 PM
JazEmber Joey 13 Posts
Thank you again, Leela. I've kept them separated but I've done intros and they got along great but it seems like the little one is very attached/climbing all over/kissing/always right behind(possibly bc theyve each been alone for this time) to the older momma. I let them together for most of the night while I'm home but I've been nervous to leave them together while I've been away so they've had time together and then they get separated (in the same cage with each other still in sight).

I guess with the possibility of Jaz HELPING Ember (not sure if it's Embers first litter or not) I may continue to leave them together and just keep extra close eye when babies start venturing out.

I hate to cause any emotional damage by continuing to separate them so wish us luck and we'll see how things progress closer to Joey time. Knowing that Jazz shouldn't affect the pouched Joey's, I'm going to continue to monitor them and just leave them together.
Question
Apr 23 2019
01:31:15 PM
JazEmber Joey 13 Posts
During they're first few intros, each of them allowed us to pet them alot more while having each other around, so I really feel like the intro and experience was a positive all the way around. I just hope Jaz isn't too clingy for Ember (pregnant) and cause additional stress (being we've had Ember pregnant for only about a month).

Thank you all so much!!
Question
Apr 23 2019
01:44:33 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
yeh at this point I'd leave them together.

For meeeee, IF an intro goes really well I don't separate, from that point they stay together unless they start having issues after living together.

"seems like the little one is very attached/climbing all over/kissing/always right behind(possibly bc theyve each been alone for this time) to the older momma."

This is partly because they were alone for a bit and mostly because the 9 week old is still a baby and is using the older mom as her next best thing to her own mother and father.

Meaning the 9 week old is still in baby mode herself , riding on an older glider or larger gliders back is a young joey behavior that is normal even if the other glider isn't the parent or sibling.

The 9 week old will graduate and in turn be the one to give piggy back rides to the new joeys once they come out of pouch... acting as a babysitter helping mom get breaks to move without the joey attached to her.

Since the older glider is taking the piggy back rides in stride I would venture to guess they will do very well together and it's giving the mom to be some joey experience while giving the 9 week old some probably much needed motherly comfort as well.

I agree keeping them together at this point will reduce some stress for both of them and the 9 week old will glide right into being an awesome big sister to the new joey/s. But do monitor them if you see or hear any signs of issues don't hesitate to intervene

Edited by - Leela on Apr 23 2019 01:49:21 PM
Question
Apr 23 2019
02:20:31 PM
JazEmber Joey 13 Posts
Your AMAZING!!! I feel so much better and more secure about them. But will definitely monitor closely for next couple weeks.

I'm so glad I joined this group/forum. Couldn't ask for better help and advice!!!
Question
Apr 23 2019
02:42:16 PM
glad I could help

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders