GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
glider attacked and eye out of socket
Health related
Apr 24 2019
05:09:45 PM
So this is really upsetting to me
..please no judgement I am heartbroken. on Easter Sunday I found my S/O left the cage door open and Tifa as my 1 year old Leu had a huge bite on her back and an eye was swollen so we rushed to Cobb Emergency Vet. After they took her back they told us that her eye was out of it's socket and needed surgery to place it and then sew her eyelid shut and so we do just that. Now I'm not entirely sure who attacked her. She shares a cage w her sister...highly doubtful she did it. They share a room with multiple other Gliders. I guess it also could have been a rodent as we have had problems w them. So Tifa goes thru surgery ($1100... ouch) and they send her home with batryil and metacam with instructions to keep her confined and also in a week I am to go back to them or my regular vet to have the sutures taken out. Today I noticed she has dried feces in her fur and it looks abnormal in consistency...so I'm going back to the same vet.as soon as the traffic calms down. Would the medicine cause her stools to be dark almost black and seems like the were runny.? I also dont know how much experience this vet has with sugar gliders. I live in Atlanta, Georgia. My usual Vet is for Pets Sake. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as Vets go within a few hours of me? What about experience with an eye coming out of socket? I known that there is a pretty good chance the eye will not become visual again and we will lose it... But it was still attached at the nerve so I had to do anything I could..thanks in advance tifa Jenn
Health related
Apr 24 2019
10:08:15 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
For pets sake is the best vet that I know of near you. Shirly Smith from Furever gliders ( breeder and did rescue for a number of years as well ) uses that vet and lovesss them. Im not sure if she would recommend another vet over them but shed be the one to ask in that area.https://www.facebook.com/shirley.smith6684

Thats her profile, shes also in several large glider groups on fb.

Those meds can affect their poo yes, and matted in the fur isnt that uncommon when a glider is ill or not feeling well. Take a warm damp cloth and clean it off for her then rub her fur dry with a tshirt or something that wicks moisture well.

You can give her yogurt between doses of baytril to replace the good guteral bacteria. the antibiotic affects the good bacteria as well as the bad.

As for experience with the eye, Denise Gillespie would be the person Id suggest for help with that. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004843098345 she has experience with a similiar eye issue I dont remember the gliders name but if you tell her the issue n tell her Carla sent you she can help more than I can with that.

I hope this helps some n she recovers soon and please try not to feel to bad, things happen and you got her the medical care she needed. Thats all anyone can do

Edited by - Leela on Apr 24 2019 10:13:56 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders