GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New to Sugar babies
New to Sugar babies
Research Information
May 05 2019
07:53:03 PM
Hello!
My name is Dawn and I'm trying to research Sugar Gliders because I would live to get 2 females of my own but really don't want to go and get them unprepared. I have never had one before so this is all new to me!! From what I can tell rhere are alot of different opinions on how to look after these adorable little babies and i would live any advice people can give me. I think the part I am struggling the most with understanding is the diet. I don't understand how it really works, I know there is alot of positive feedback about the hpw from critter love but I don't think I really understand how to mix it... does anyone have any tried and true recipes?
Also cage wise, what are the best cages people reccomend? I heard that when they are young having a large cage can actually be counterproductive and that you should upgrade them later on... is this true? Any brands for cages that are awesome?

Thanks for any help you can give me!! And if you have any other tips you think I should know, please feel free to let me know! I just want to know everything I can before I bring one of these babies into my family so they have the best life possible!!
Research Information
May 06 2019
01:25:28 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

1 bonding, is trusting, it can take time with these little guys, be PATIENT.
each one bonds in different times.

2 I use midwest double critternation, also petsmart available. no center
divider and bottom poop tray modified to outside bottom of cage. I much
prefer this cage, congo, madagascar, brisbane good.

3 I say just get big cage, use treats to help train. with a good live
mealworm even unbonded gliders will come visit you for a treat.

4 diet, OHPW or critterlove (same) or BML seem most popular and healthy.
video on youtube shows how easy to make OHPW. critterlove I think the same
way to make. I dont recommend instant critterlove, my gliders loved the non
instant much better, all of them.

5 handle your gliders in a glider safe area so they can NOT run away and hide.
closet, empty room etc. use caution in a bathroom, glider don't swim. once
bonded they will stay with you or not run and hide.

DONT introduce your gliders to other animals, dont use heat rock, dont use a
leash.
gliders are nocturnal, are you, if you sleep at night, maybe you should get
a cat. I spent 1 to 2 hours with my gliders on my 4 days off between 11pm and 3am. After about 1 hour they leave me to take a nap.
Research Information
May 06 2019
09:12:09 PM
Little_Miss_Glider Joey Visit Little_Miss_Glider's Photo Album Canada 16 Posts
Thank you for all the advice!! I have been doing more research based on some of your suggestions and they were really helpful!! I work in evenings and am up most of the night at home so them being nocturnal is no biggie for me, it is actually really great for me because I sleep most of the day as well. I am hoping to get some new sugar babies in the next month or so!!
New to Sugar babies

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New to Sugar babies