Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
BML supplements
BML supplements
Food, Diet
May 31 2019
06:40:38 PM
Hey so I just got an email from someone with joeys in my area and I get my two beautiful baby girls in about a months time! I am so excited for them and have been researching none stop since finding out because i just want to make the best choices for them.
That being said i have been looking into diets and it seems there is no kne diet that is superior to others because they all have flaws in one way or another. The lady who has them currently feeds them the BML diet and originally i had thought about TPG but if they are already on BML i figure I should stick to it. One issue i have is with the rep-cal vitamins... i have heard so many bad things that i am a little iffy on them. I was wondering if anyone knew of any safe vitamin supplements? I think i heard slme people mention vetafarm calivet and soluvite. (Sorry if i spelled then wrong). I just wanted to know what everyone on here thought. These are my first two joeys and i have no problem dedicating time to make them food i just want to make sure im doing whats best for them...

***as a side note this isn't meant to start any drama or any arguements over which diet is better as i know from reading about the diets some people can get rather heated, i am just a new mom looking for some advice***
Food, Diet
May 31 2019
07:22:28 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Personally I'd keep them on Bml if they are already eating it and eating it well. It's an affordable consistent well known and widely used diet providing the recipe hasn't been modified.

Not to mention for new owners its probably the easiest diet to make when the recipe and feeding instructions are followed there is no guessing what to feed or what is safe.

The only time I consider changing diets is if and when my gliders stop eating what diet I have them on. But that's just me, there are more than one reason most people decide on a diet, cost, ease of preparation, online vs locally ingredients, storage space, ingredient preferences ie fresh vs powders etc...

But in the end the gliders always have the final say if they don't eat it the "best diet" on the planet won't do them any good.

There is nothing wrong with the repcal products in bml, bml has been tested with those 2 specific ingredients, changing those ingredients is changing the entire diet and likely going to cause an imbalance.

Not all calcium/multivitamin products are the same so if you change brands you could also be changing the amount per serving which then makes everything else in the diet imbalanced. Everything fed with bml factor into the over all balance of vitamins and minerals including the fruit n veg.

This is why its strongly recommended to follow the diet creators recipe exactly. If any changes or tweaks needs made to the recipe the creators will usually post the changes and why the changes were made on their websites.

Bml has not needed changed in sometime as far as nutrition goes. However one ingredient was changed last year due to the yogurt juice being discontinued so the creator changed the recipe for the appropriate substation for that ingredient. That is the only time substitutions should be made ...in my opinion

As a side note I have fed Bml but I'm currently feeding a different diet. I'm diet neutral for the most part but there are a couple I don't like at all. I won't argue or debate about them I just don't promote them like I do others.

Edited by - Leela on May 31 2019 07:35:05 PM
Food, Diet
May 31 2019
07:42:44 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
And if you still have reservations about the product and why they are an ingredient you can ask the creator of Bml she is more than happy to explain why she used them and why they are important to the diet But Bourbon will probably have you call her cause she hates typing

She is still very active in the glider community and is usually a controversy person herself let alone her diet thats just how this community is, but she is available for help and questions about her diet and wheel so if you really want an education about her diet, she'd be the one to talk to https://www.facebook.com/bourbonh

Edited by - Leela on May 31 2019 07:44:08 PM
Food, Diet
May 31 2019
09:02:51 PM
Little_Miss_Glider Joey Visit Little_Miss_Glider's Photo Album Canada 16 Posts
Thank you so much, this has been super helpful :) there are so many diets with so many mixed reviews it has been a little overwhelming!!! I think i will stick with the BML for them as stated they eat it well now so not much sense changing it! Thank you for the help!!!
Food, Diet
May 31 2019
10:28:58 PM
yw don't feel alone diets are a struggle for everyone in the beginning. Took me a good 6 months to sort them out and get a good grasp on them it's frustrating to say the least There are a lot of contradictions and opinions on everything related to gliders and a lot of old information still online that may have been relevant when it was written but is out dated now, n it's hard to weed through all of that.

The best thing to do is ask if your unsure, use what works for you and your gliders, research as much as possible and make up your own mind based on facts rather than opinions. Opinions can be helpful but in the end you have to decide whats best for you and your gliders.... w allllllllll do things our own way what works for my gliders might not work for yours that's why you will have to figure out what works for you for some things but you'll get it.

The biggest thing is don't put a time frame on the gliders they will progress at their own speed. The fastest way to be disappointed is to have expectations of them.
BML supplements

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
BML supplements